13 thoughts I had during Coast Guard boot camp graduation
The one thing that binds generations of Coast Guardsmen together is the boot camp experience at Cape May, New Jersey (and for a time, Alameda, California). Eight long weeks of physical, mental, and emotional training concludes with a pass and review – and finally – the graduation ceremony that turns recruits into seaman apprentices, fireman apprentices, seamen, and firemen.
The first promotion a recruit receives is on graduation day, making for an emotional and exhausting day. These are just a few of the thoughts I (and many other) Coasties have on their last day at Cape May.
1. “This is it. I’m a big Coastie now. I’m joining the fleet. I’m doing it.”
(As I was getting my uniform on in the morning.)
2. “This is never going to end. This is the longest hour of my life. I’m never gonna make it outside. I’m gonna die here.”
(As I was getting my uniform inspected.)
3. “I wonder if they packed the clothes I asked. I can’t wait to wear real clothes again. I miss shorts. I hope they brought snacks. I’m so hungry already.”
(As I was getting into formation to march to the parade field.)
4. “I wonder where they’re sitting. Did everyone find it okay? Did they even make it on base? I hope mom didn’t say something stupid and get denied entry.”
As I was marching to the parade field.)
5. Oh my god, I see them. Oh, my god, I’m gonna cry.
(As I was marching to the stands.)
6. “Okay I get it, you’re really proud of us. I’m proud of me, too. Can we get this over already?”
(As I was listening to the CO’s opening remarks.)
7. “Yes, you were here in my shoes forty years ago and you’ve done big things since then. You should know I wanna get out of here. Can we get this over already?”
(As I was listening to the guest speaker’s remarks.)
8.“I don’t remember what I’m supposed to do. I hope I don’t screw this up.”
(As I was standing in line to receive your certificate.)
9. “This is the happiest I’ve been ever. I finally did it and they can’t kick me out of boot camp now!”
(As I was receiving my certificate.)
10. “Can we get this over with already?”
(As I was listening to the CO’s closing remarks.)
11.”I’m free! Where’s my family? Where’s my mom? I missed you guys!I have so much to tell you
(As I’m finally released.)
12. “I cannot wait to not have the same bag as everyone else. Damn, I hate these shirt-stays. I wanna get this thing off.”
(As I was getting my stuff.)
13.“That is the most fun I never want to have again.”
(As I was sitting in the car, finally leaving Cape May after 8 long weeks.)
This is the latest version of the M9 service pistol
The M9A3 offers a bigger magazine, a user-friendly grip, and a host of improvements based on lessons learned from over three decades of service.
This is what the DoD has planned for a zombie apocalypse
It does touch on many of the pop culture elements of zombie lore, but it breaks things down to become applicable to most situations that would similar to an actual outbreak.
Some dirtbags messed with an Iwo Jima memorial — and Marines caught 'em on film
Officials say an Iwo Jima memorial in Fall River was doused with the contents of a fire extinguisher last weekend. Police are investigating
Vets are going to get a new ID card, and they'll be ready for use next month
The new identification card will provide employers looking to hire veterans with an easier way to verify an employee's military service.
This is the story behind the rise and fall of the Islamic State group
The Islamic State group, responsible for some of the worst atrocities perpetrated against civilians in recent history, appears on the verge of collapse.
Now the Iraqi army is going after the Kurdish forces who helped beat ISIS
Iraqi federal and Kurdish forces exchanged fire on Oct. 20, capping a dramatic week that saw the Kurds hand over territory across Northern Iraq.
This Kurdish female militia refuses to stop its hunt for ISIS terrorists
A Kurdish female militia, after helping free the city of Raqqa, said it will continue the fight to liberate women from the extremists’ brutal rule.
The US just sent nearly 1M bombs and missiles to Guam — here's why
Hint: There's this guy a few thousand miles away who's threatening to lob a nuke in their direction.
This is what the 400 US troops in Somalia are actually up to
The US has quadrupled its military presence in Somalia after Al-Shabab killed nearly 300 civilians in two truck bombings. Half of them are special ops troops.