14 images that hilariously portray your first day on a field op
Heading out to the field to conduct a training operation sounds like a whole lot of fun when it’s your first time out. But as we all know, the majority of the time nothing happens as originally planned, and things tend to fall apart just as soon as they start.
Although tactical training is super important, field ops usually consist of nothing more than a lot of hiking, shooting some blanks and eating MREs.
No matter how many times you’ve gone out to the field in your career, you’ll always remember your first time above the rest.
1. When you show up at the armory to draw your weapon, all motivated at 0500, and you’re the only one there.
2. What it feels like riding on a bumpy road in the back of a 7-ton heading out to the field.
3. How you feel when you get out of that damned truck.
4. After you threw up, you told your squad you must have drunk way too much beer last night. They call you a …
5. Then you wait for the rest of the platoon to show up.
6. They finally show up, but no one appears to be as motivated as you.
7. But then you just continue to wait some more.
8. Once the orders come down to start training, your squad is instructed capture and take control of a small MOUT town. Everyone now gets into position.
9. You’re told to take the training seriously as if you’re in a real war zone. But we never do, especially when you have to simulate clearing a room, shooting your weapon or tossing a grenade.
10. Then once you completed that evolution, you loaded your lip with dip or sparked up a smoke. Face it, you have nothing else to do… again.
11. When chow comes around, the MREs are passed out, and you get the one no one wants.
12. After a long day of waiting in the hot sun, it’s getting cold, and you realized you forgot to pack your sleeping bag.
13. After a few hours of lying down trying to catch some shut-eye, your fireteam leader wakes you to stand watch.
14. You arrive at your post watch, and you just stand there in the pitch black. Then it starts to rain, but at least you were prepared for that.
This little bot can take a lickin' and keep on tickin' for troops on assault
Weighing a little over five pounds, the FirstLook can handle being thrown into a hostile environment.
This is one of the deadliest kamikaze attacks caught on film
Japanese kamikaze pilots struck fear in the hearts of allied troops as they conducted choreographed nose-dives right into U.S. warships during WWII.
This is what it was like fighting alongside Afghan troops
In nearly every war in which America has taken part, troops have had to work alongside local forces who aren't always very motivated to fight.
This is how AC/DC helped save a POW in Mogadishu
The ending of "Black Hawk Down" was just slightly different than Ridley Scott showed. It was a moment former POW Mike Durant would never forget.
Russia is buying more of these 'Fullback' fighter jets — and they're pretty impressive
The Russian Ministry of Defense says it just got four more SU-34 bombers, and they're impressive AF. We have the details and video for you here.
More than 100 killed in Taliban attacks across Afghanistan
The Afghan Defense Ministry is reporting over 100 Afghan deaths in October. The Taliban killed Afghan police officers and soldiers, and civilians.
The US Navy just launched an effort to built this is the super-stealthy submarine
The USS South Dakota — a Block-III Virginia Class attack submarine — has officially been christened. We have the details and how it compares to its peers.
This is how the War of Independence was won in the trenches
In order to beat the British at Yorktown, Gen. George Washington had to summon his inner groundhog and convince the French to soil their pretty hands.
This .50 cal machine gun fires twice as fast as the legendary Ma Deuce
The new Gatling-style GAU-19/B can send 1,300 rounds a minute downrange.