14 images that humorously recall your first firefight
Infantrymen train countless hours on immediate action drills, patrolling techniques and room clearing during their pre-deployment work up. The goal for every successful combat pump is to complete the mission and get your a** home safe.
While on a combat deployment, you made some epic memories — some good and some bad.
But one memory you’ll probably never forget is that first time you took enemy contact.
Check out what many young troops go through during their first firefight.
1. After traveling for the past few weeks to get to your FOB, your platoon sergeant announces the squad’s first patrol heads out at first light — which is one hour from now.
2. You head to your berthing area to “gear prep and check.”
3. What it felt like putting on all your tactical gear for the real thing.
4. That badass feeling you had when you left the wire for the first time with your fireteam.
5. How absolutely alert you were after every step you took.
6. After several hours of patrolling with nothing cool happening — you’re freaking drained.
7. Then, it finally happened. Crack! Snap! The enemy is finally engaging you, and it’s time to get your fireteam into the game.
8. Now that you handled all that, it’s time to fire off some rounds.
9. After gaining a solid visual on the bad guy’s position, you jumped on your comm gear and called in a mortar strike.
10. You felt like a beast when your mortar strike hits without having to make an adjustment.
11. Then, a few enemy rounds zip past your head.
12. You order your fire team to open fire!
13. When the bad guys pull-back because they can’t handle your fire superiority.
14. How accomplished and patriotic you felt after kickin’ their a**.
The 13 funniest memes for the week of Sept. 22
Kim Jong Un has an H-Bomb. These good ol' fashioned military memes will make your last few moments less excruciating. Memes are proven to cool hydrogen burns.
How Taco Bell influenced a rapper to become a Marine
In this episode of the Mandatory Fun podcast, we speak with The Marine Rapper a.k.a. TMR about how he went from wrapping tacos to rapping music lyrics.
These are the best military photos for the week of September 23
The military has very talented photographers in the ranks, and they’re always capturing what life as a service member is like during training and at war. Here are the best military photos of the week.
The US just sent 2,200 of these Fort Bragg paratroopers to Afghanistan
Approximately 2,200 82nd Airborne Division paratroopers began quietly deploying this month, part of a long-discussed troop surge to Afghanistan.
The Marines just took a look at this Civil War battlefield to learn military lessons for the future
The battle, which involved 18,456 mounted troops and was the largest cavalry clash in North America, also remains largely unknown by today's students of military history.
The Air Force is finally getting with the program and planning for urban fights
Air Force Chief of Staff David Goldfein has added urban warfare to his list of top focus areas, predicting that much of the world will live in megacities.
How we found out it's not so easy to fly a Reaper drone
Let's just say computer flight simulator games don't provide enough experience to make a good landing.
Here's what the Marines of 'Full Metal Jacket' are doing today
The Marines killed the enemy together, laughed together, and shared a Da Nang hooker together. But what happened to them after the war? You're about to find out.
Army ditches search for 7.62 battle rifle — for now
Less than two months after the Army issued a request from industry to provide up to 50,000 7.62 battle rifles, sources say the service has pulled the plug on the program.
THE MIGHTY SURVEY GIVE-AWAY
We want to hear your thoughts. Complete our survey for a chance to win 1 of 5 gaming consoles