14 photos that show how deployed troops watch the Super Bowl
The military is filled with sports fans, and few days are as important to sports followers as the Super Bowl. So the U.S. military goes to great lengths to ensure that troops around the world are granted the opportunity to watch the big game (as long as they aren’t currently wrapped up in a mission…probably).
Here are 14 photos that show how troops around the world watch the ultimate football game each year:
1. Sports fans around the world watch the game on the Armed Forces Network, a U.S. military satellite channel. Some of these watching parties even allow minor uniform alterations, such as the wear of sports jerseys.
2. The watch parties are held wherever a TV and suitable seating can be set up, including chow halls…
3. …theaters or briefing rooms…
4. …and even ranges.
5. The luckiest viewers get to watch in sports bars on base.
6. The game-watching parties are usually supplemented with other activities.
7. For obvious reasons, football games are a common choice.
8. But other games are commonly set up.
9. Some bases will even get special visits from USO tours, like this NFL All-Star Cheerleaders line-up.
10. Concerts are fairly common as well.
11. Prize giveaways are big at watch parties, especially overseas.
12. Electronics, plane tickets, and other prizes are given out.
13. Of course, no Super Bowl party is complete without snacks.
14. But it is the military, so not everyone gets a party or even a chance to watch the game. Some guys have to pull duty, like these paratroopers getting ready for an airborne operation on Super Bowl Sunday.
This is how Japan plans to hunt enemy subs
Japan decided to build a custom maritime patrol plane instead of converting and airliner - and the P-1 could blow away the competition.
This company owns a private fleet of aerial refueling tankers
Omega Air Refueling claims to be the only private air refueling service in the world.
VA chief fires head of department hospital in DC — again
The Department of Veterans Affairs says it's fired Brian Hawkins -- once again -- citing audits that found mismanagement at the facility.
This Special Forces medic's bravery in Vietnam has earned him the Medal of Honor
President Trump will award the Medal of Honor to retired Army medic Gary M. Rose who risked his life to provide care to his comrades in the Vietnam War.
These American WWII vets were awarded France's highest honor
Ten California men who fought overseas with the US forces have been awarded the French government's highest honor for their World War II service.
5 more epic military movie mistakes you have missed
With so many important aspects to pay attention to, filmmakers commonly make mistakes. Luckily we've brought our government-provided attention to detail!
The Air Force is getting ready to deploy this fearsome new gunship
The USAF plans to declare its newest gunship, the AC-130J Ghostrider, ready for combat this month, but the aircraft won’t actually deploy for a few years.
Turkey raises alarm with purchase of Russian-made S-400 missile system
Turkey finalized its purchase of the Russian-made S-400 surface-to-air missile system earlier this month, which can be used against NATO and US planes.
This is what the Afghans think of America's new war plan
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani said the new US strategy in Afghanistan stands a better chance of working than previous plans.
THE MIGHTY SURVEY GIVE-AWAY
We want to hear your thoughts. Complete our survey for a chance to win 1 of 5 gaming consoles