17 images that perfectly show the misery of returning your gear
Over the past few days, you’ve been collecting exit signatures for your check-out sheet, and low and behold, you’re almost home. The process has been relatively straightforward up until this point.
The last item you need to get signed off is from the Central Issue Facility, or supply, where you need to check in all of your gear. Supply is one of the last stops a service member makes before obtaining their official DD-214.
Sounds easy enough, right?
Wrong. If one aspect of your gear is not check-in ready, integrating back into civilian population will be delayed.
So check out our list of what it typically takes to check in your gear and move on with your life.
(This is based on many true stories)
1. What it looks like when you’re on your way to the central issue on a Friday afternoon.
2.When you walk inside and all you see are other troops waiting in a long a** line.
3. To add insult to injury, everyone who works there looks slow and grumpy.
4. After waiting what felt like an eternity, you finally haul your heavy gear over to the counter and begin the checkout process.
5. You make it to the counter, and just as your morale has been boosted, you realized you’re at the slowest worker’s section.
6. The clerk starts to review all your gear, pulling everything out piece-by-piece — most of which you never used.
7. After completing the inventory, the clerk finds an issue with your almost squared away paperwork. All of your gear is clean enough to pass, but there’s a missing signature.
8. Your superior officer’s signature is missing for an expensive piece of gear which got destroyed while you were deployed. The clerk informs you that you can either pay for it yourself or get the signature before you can get out of the military.
You can’t believe what you’re hearing.
9. You speed back to your company HQ to find your CO.
10. You dash into the HQ in search of the man or woman who can set you free.
11. You find your superior, he or she signs the paperwork and then your emotions take over.
12. Now that you got your signature, it’s time to head back to central issue.
13. You get back the central issue building and attempt to eyeball the person who helped you earlier to avoid waiting in line again.
15. It worked. The clerk spots you and waves you over. You hand her the signed paperwork, she looks it over and now you wait.
16. The clerk slowly stamps your paperwork. You’re clear.
17. You did it! Now go get your DD-214 and move on with your life.
The Marine Corps could soon have its first female infantry officer
The unidentified lieutenant just finished a three-week combat exercise, the last graded portion of the Marine Corps Infantry Officer Course.
This new tool shows what nukes would do to your home
Alex Wellerstein, a historian of science, has created an interactive map you can use to see how a nuclear detonation would impact your city.
How to kidnap Marines — according to combat training role player
In this episode, we speak with Kelvin Garvanne about his life as an Arabic/Iraqi role player, and how he takes training troops to a whole new level.
This is how you fight when the waters are rising
Underwater, all the fitness in the world won't save you if you can't keep your head. But dying is dumb. Time to summon a little amphibian ambition.
One session with this trainer will make you assume the fetal position
Water Survival is so badass it's gonna take Max two episodes to get you ready to face it. This is Part 1, where he makes you feel bad about yourself.
This is what happens when a troll runs the obstacle course
Its job is to put one problem after another directly in your way. It's the o-course and your job is to run it before time runs out. Enter Max.
Our trainer will make you a leopard
There’s your enemy, right over there. And he doesn’t see you. Gotta get in him in range though. And that puts you in range. Time to get creepy.
This is what happens when you swap your workout for PT
Once upon a time you were physically fit. It was a grind, but you did it, because there was a test at the end. Good news. It's test time again.
THE MIGHTY SURVEY GIVE-AWAY
We want to hear your thoughts. Complete our survey for a chance to win 1 of 5 gaming consoles