17 Signs That You Might Be A Military Aviator
It’s not just about the squadron plaques on your “I love me” wall or the vanity plate on your ‘Vette. Here are 17 other signs that you might be a military aviator:
1. You talk with your hands a lot.
2. Your speech is so full of acronyms and jargon that it almost qualifies as a foreign language.
3. You notice what kind of watch others are wearing.
4. You judge fellow military aviators by things like radar cross section and tail hook thickness.
5. You consider crew rest sacrosanct.
6. Your first meal of the day is lunch (as a function of the previous bullet).
7. You sneer at any mention of the movie “Top Gun,” but you’ve seen it hundreds of times and can’t look away if you happen to stumble across it on cable.
8. You’re not really all that dangerous but sometimes you act like you are. (See previous bullet.)
9. You’re most comfortable wearing Nomex and speed jeans.
No, not those speed jeans . . . these speed jeans:
10. Your grooming is always pushing military standards.
11. You say things like, “Older whiskey, younger women, and faster fighters” with a straight face.
12. You’re all about the shades.
13. You’ve taken recreation to an art form.
14. You can sleep sitting upright (even while strapped into an ejection seat).
15. The crazier a situation becomes, the more focused you get.
16. You’re only impressed by celebrities and other public figures insofar as they make enough money to buy themselves airplanes.
17. You feel like you can get away with texting while driving because the government trained you to keep your scan going while you multitask.
SpaceX launching a third top-secret satellite
SpaceX is launching a secretive mission this month. The mission, shrouded in secrecy, has some considering it may be for the CIA or the NSA.
This is how the Air Force will use prop planes on high-tech battlefields
The Air Force is looking toward a light-attack aircraft program, known as OA-X, to produce a plane that meets its needs and gets the job done.
A retired SEAL commander on how to stop thinking and 'get after it' every day
This former Navy commander has some excellent advice on how to jump start your day, and "get some" in order to make it as productive as possible.
Marines return to battle in 'old stomping grounds'
The Marines recall their "old stomping grounds" as they return to Fallujah and the surround areas of Al Anbar Province to battle a new enemy.
How Chinese drones are set to swarm the global market
China has stepped up it's drone game, and even though United States technology can still compete, China's drones are kind of really in demand.
That time two countries' Special Forces squared off in combat
In an area the size of the Falkland Islands, British and Argentine special operators were bound to run into each other at some point – a lot.
5 times pilots got in trouble for having fun in the sky
When pilots decide to do some fancy flying in their high-performance fighters, it can land them in trouble once they're back on the ground.
This is why Nazis dubbed these paratroopers 'devils in baggy pants'
"American paratroopers – devils in baggy pants – are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can’t sleep at night," wrote one German commander.
9 ISIS weapon fails that you have to see to believe
Many bad guys just want record themselves laying rounds down range for social media purposes — and we're glad they did. Laugh away, America!