The 12 best quotes from 'Apocalypse Now'
The Vietnam-war classic from Francis Ford Coppola yields a number of classic lines that fans can quote at will, from Kilgore’s comments about napalm to an intelligence officer’s use of the phrase “with extreme prejudice.”
These are WATM’s picks for the top 12 quotes from the 1979 film.
1. Col. Kilgore: “I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn’t find one of ’em, not one stinkin’ dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like … victory.”
2. Capt. Willard: “Saigon… sh-t. I’m still only in Saigon.”
3. Col. Kilgore: “Someday this war’s gonna end.”
4. Capt. Willard: “Terminate the Colonel?”
Civilian intelligence official: ” … Terminate with extreme prejudice.”
5. Capt. Willard: “Oh man… the bullsh-t piled up so fast in Vietnam, you needed wings to stay above it.”
6. Capt. Willard: “Charging a man with murder in this place was like handing out speeding tickets in the Indy 500.”
7. Capt. Willard: “‘Never get out of the boat.’ Absolutely goddamn right! Unless you were goin’ all the way… Kurtz got off the boat. He split from the whole f–kin’ program.”
8. Col. Kilgore: “If I say its safe to surf this beach, Captain, then its safe to surf this beach!”
9. Chef: “I just wanted to learn to f–kin’ cook, man!”
10. Capt. Willard: “Who’s the commanding officer here?”
Soldier: “Ain’t you?”
11. Col. Kilgore: “Charlie don’t surf!”
12. Col. Kurtz: “The horror … the horror.”
If you don't know about Sword & Plough, you are wrong
The Holidays, like a hyped-up drill sergeant, are upon you. Don't you wish you had a 12-day guide to the best vet-made gifts around? Ho! Ho! Hoo-rah!
Why the 'Butcher of Bosnia' faces a life sentence for war crimes
Ratko Mladic, a former Serbian general, will receive a verdict from the International Criminal Tribunal for war crimes he committed, to include genocide.
Russia swears a cloud of radioactive pollution is not a nuclear accident
A radioactive cloud is moving over parts of Europe, seemingly coming from Russia, reminiscent of the Chernobyl nuclear-power-plant disaster in 1986.
Taliban drug labs targeted by B-52 strikes overnight
American aircraft have targeted drug producing facilities in Afghanistan for the first time under a new strategy aimed at cutting off Taliban funding.
Why South Korea is building a unique missile interceptor
A missile system that could be used to target North Korea Scuds will cost Seoul more than $800 million to develop, a Seoul defense committee said.
SEALs honor the man who made the ‘frogmen’ possible
Last week, at the Omni Shoreham Hotel, a crowd gathered to commemorate the fateful event that gave rise to what would become the US Navy SEALs.
The 50 most violent cities in the world
Of the fifty cities on the list, forty-three are in Latin America, including nineteen in Brazil, eight in Mexico, and seven in Venezuela.
How the true story of Thanksgiving ended in a war
Just a generation after the famed Thanksgiving feast shared between pilgrims and Native Americans, the two groups were engaged in bloody battles.
The wounded North Korean defector is infected by an unknown parasite
The North Korean defector shot by his fellow soldiers has been found to be riddled with parasites his South Korean doctors have never seen.