Marine Corps video shows 'the most powerful concentration of combat power ever put to sea'
The US Marine Corps’ recent proof of concept for the F-35B short takeoff, vertical landing variant aboard the USS America produced “the most powerful concentration of combat power ever put to sea in the history of the world,” according to one F-35 test pilot.
Indeed the America is the US’s newest amphibious assault ship, designed for waging war on beaches and coastal zones with the F-35’s revolutionary technologies in mind.
Both the America-class and the F-35 programs have faced criticisms, sometimes harshly, for their departure from traditional warfare roles, among other things. But lately these programs seem to be shaping up nicely.
The America abandons well decks, or the space to launch landing vessels to take beaches, in favor of increased hangar space to haul and maintain more aircraft. In its most plane-heavy configuration, the America can carry 20 F-35Bs.
In the video below, the Marines placed 12 F-35Bs on the America to prove a concept that’s been literally decades in the making, and thereby creating a ship that’s not even technically classified as an aircraft carrier, yet one of the biggest and deadliest ships in the world.
- 9 John Bolton quotes that show why national security experts are terrified of having him in the White House
- Trump's newest advisor supports attacking North Korea — a move that experts say could leave 2.1 million people dead
- Trump's new top security adviser wants to bomb Iran and tear up the nuclear deal
- Trump reportedly wanted to get McMaster out of the White House with a promotion — instead he's leaving the military altogether
- Video shows Houthi rebels in Yemen using a jury-rigged Russian fighter jet missile to take on an F-15