Oliver Stone thinks Edward Snowden is a hero
In the first full trailer for Snowden, Oliver Stone’s biopic of the NSA contractor who leaked classified documents to the media in 2013, the director makes clear that he thinks Edward Snowden is an American hero.
The movie version of Snowden (played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt) is a good soldier who trains on broken legs without complaint for two weeks, aspired to serve in special forces and wants to join the CIA to serve his country. He is shocked by what he sees at the NSA and wants the rest of America to make an informed decision in the privacy versus security debate.
All of this matches up perfectly with Vietnam veteran Stone’s long-time movie obsessions with shadowy government figures and national security. After getting delayed twice, the movie finally opens in theaters on September 16.
THE MIGHTY SURVEY GIVE-AWAY
We want to hear your thoughts. Complete our survey for a chance to win 1 of 5 gaming consoles
- Search for Missing Army Helicopter Crew Suspended in Hawaii
- Trump Approves Sending 4K More Troops to Afghanistan, Official Says
- Richardson: 'No Indication' USS McCain Collision Due to Foul Play
- Iraqi Forces Close In on ISIS-Held Town West of Mosul
- US-Led Strikes Killed 27 Civilians in Raqqa: Monitor
- US, South Korean Troops Drill Amid Standoff with North
Follow @militarydotcom on Twitter .