Russia's aircraft carrier has started launching sorties over Syria
As of yet, no strikes have been carried out. Only scouting missions involving the Su-33s and MiG-29Ks have gone forward, according to Lagrone.
While the Kuznetsov and attack planes on board add little to Russia’s capabilities in the region, the US has nonetheless condemned Russia escalating a conflict where humanitarian catastrophes and possibly war crimes go on with some regularity.
“We are aware of reports that the Russian Federation is preparing to escalate their military campaign in Syria. The United States, time and again, has worked to try and de-escalate the violence in Syria and provide humanitarian aid to civilians suffering under siege,” a Pentagon statement provided to USNI News on Wednesday read.
Russia’s deployment of the troubled, Soveit-era Kuznetsov to Syria serves little military purpose, and likely deployed for propaganda purposes.
THE MIGHTY SURVEY GIVE-AWAY
We want to hear your thoughts. Complete our survey for a chance to win 1 of 5 gaming consoles
- TRUMP: My instinct was to pull out of Afghanistan — here's why I changed my mind
- RANKED: Countries that lack confidence in Trump
- A border standoff between 2 nuclear powers has been festering for months
- US-backed Kurds release another video of their forces striking a Turkish vehicle
- The wreckage of a WWII-era US warship that the Navy called the worst disaster at sea has been discovered
- Mike Pence appears to have fallen short on a major US foreign-policy goal while in Latin America
Follow @BusinessInsider on Twitter .