The 5 biggest stories in the military world right now (July 1)
It’s Hump Day, and here is what you need to know around the national security space this morning:
- The death toll from the Indonesian Air Force C-130 mishap yesterday has risen to 142, according to Yahoo News.
- WATM’s bud and Washington Post military correspondent Dan Lamothe reports on evidence that Russia has a secret base in Ukraine.
- New images show the Chinese are building military facilities on reclaimed land in the South China Sea. WaPo has the full report here.
- WATM’s other bud (yes, we have two), Leo Shane III of Military Times, writes that Congress is approving military nominations while sitting on civilian ones.
- Man accused of taking bribes and paying kickbacks to obtain military contracts in Iraq is being sentenced today in Ohio. The Associated Press has coverage here.