This infographic shows how the machine gun revolutionized World War I combat
WWI was one of the first truly modern conflicts. Fought mainly along trenches, the war saw the introduction of chemical weapons, tanks, and aerial combat.
Thought of as the war to end war, over 9 million soldiers were killed in the conflict and 21 million were injured. These casualties were largely helped along by the war being the first to feature widespread use of machine guns.
The following graphic, from Norwich University’s Online Masters in Military History program, shows the destructive impact and history of the machine gun on the war.
- 'Like a natural disaster had hit': Venezuela's crisis is spilling over its borders — here's what it's like at ground zero of the exodus
- These were the 50 most violent cities in the world in 2017
- The US military is facing a 'real war for talent' — but some valuable recruits could be scared away
- $1 million in private flights and a $31,000 table —here are the 6 Trump Cabinet members under scrutiny for their lavish spending of taxpayer money
- It's been 73 years since the Battle for Remagen — here are 8 photos of the Allies' first toehold in Nazi Germany