This is what the North Korean military looks like
North Korea’s military escapades were back in the headlines in December, after state media in the secretive country reported news of two large-scale military drills involving rocket launchers and fighter jets.
Some analysts believe that Kim Jong Un, the country’s despotic leader, is gearing up for war against South Korea — pictures accompanying one report even showed a mock-up of the Blue House, South Korea’s presidential residence, being used as a target by artillery. Others, however, say the drills are the latest in a long line of “sabre-rattling” manoeuvres designed to intimidate neighbours.
In either case, the country’s missile development and huge artillery stocks pose a significant danger to South Korea and the rest of the world.
It is one of the world’s most secretive countries, so the information largely comes from other sources, but the state’s propaganda efforts mean there are plenty of pictures of the country’s colossal military capacity. Take a look.
*Mike Bird contributed reporting to an earlier version of this article.
- Watch a firefighter catch a child thrown from a burning building in Georgia
- What it's like in Pyeongchang, South Korea — the host city of the 2018 Olympics
- The son of 'El Chapo' Guzman's former right-hand man is reportedly talking to US authorities, and it could be trouble for the Sinaloa cartel
- Trump's hawkish security adviser reportedly held secret meetings with Japan and South Korea about standing up to North Korea
- Homeland Security secretary denies under oath that she heard Trump say 'shithole countries,' but admits that he used 'tough language'