Tragic accident takes young Marine's life at Camp Pendleton
A U.S. Marine was killed in a freak accident on August 4 after a tree fell on him during physical training at his California base.
Lance Cpl. Cody Haley, 20, was working out in a wooded area at Camp Pendleton with members of his unit when the incident took place. While on a run, the Marines tried to move a log they were unaware was holding up a dead tree, which fell on top of Haley and killed him, according to a source familiar with the matter.
A native of Hardin, Iowa, Haley had deployed in 2016 with the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit. He was awarded the National Defense Service medal, the Global War on Terrorism Service medal, and the Sea Service Deployment ribbon, the Marine Corps said.
- The Navy's newest warship has been stuck in Canada for weeks due to ice — and will stay there 'until wintery weather conditions improve'
- China and Russia are the focus of the US' first new National Defense Strategy in a decade
- The US appears to be quietly preparing for nuclear war with North Korea
- Russia is reportedly shipping its advanced S-400 anti-aircraft missile system to China
- North Korea mocks US 'nuclear-phobia' after Hawaii ballistic missile scare, Michigan meteor sighting