Tragic accident takes young Marine's life at Camp Pendleton
A U.S. Marine was killed in a freak accident on August 4 after a tree fell on him during physical training at his California base.
Lance Cpl. Cody Haley, 20, was working out in a wooded area at Camp Pendleton with members of his unit when the incident took place. While on a run, the Marines tried to move a log they were unaware was holding up a dead tree, which fell on top of Haley and killed him, according to a source familiar with the matter.
A native of Hardin, Iowa, Haley had deployed in 2016 with the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit. He was awarded the National Defense Service medal, the Global War on Terrorism Service medal, and the Sea Service Deployment ribbon, the Marine Corps said.
THE MIGHTY SURVEY GIVE-AWAY
We want to hear your thoughts. Complete our survey for a chance to win 1 of 5 gaming consoles
- Here is the long list of people in line to take over as President if anything happens to Donald Trump
- A US defense contractor developed a drone that can fire a sniper rifle
- The American man who used eBay to get money from ISIS has pleaded guilty
- 11 books the US Army's top officer recommends to help understand the world
- Charlottesville started with a statue of Robert E. Lee — Here are 11 Confederate figures whose monuments are sparking controversy across the US
- Russia's new Su-57 'stealth' fighter already looks like a disappointment
Follow @BusinessInsider on Twitter .