12 images that perfectly recall checking into your unit for the first time
When young troops graduate from all their intense training and move onto their first duty station, they tend to believe they have the whole world in the palm of their hand.
Going from an “in training” status to working full-time in the military can cause culture shock for many boots.
The day you join your first unit, the real work begins.
For some it’s a rude awakening, so we’ve compiled these images to remind us all that when we check in on day one, we’re not all that.
1. How it felt walking out of S.O.I. after graduation making our way to our first infantry unit.
2. That badass feeling you had on the bus like the worst part of training was over. There’s also a rumor floating around that after everyone checks in they’re going on a three-day liberty.
3. When you get off the bus at the barracks, and you realized no more open squad bays.
4. How you felt entering your three man barracks room for the first time.
5. You then looked inside the bathroom and found it’s a one-man shower stall.
6. The barracks duty comes around and informs you that you need to report to the company office. But you have no freakin’ clue where that is.
7. You walk around the camp looking for a building with a red roof.
8. You finally walk into the company offices and feel so small compared to everyone else.
9. You start sweating bullets and attempt not to make any eye contact with the higher-ups who are all wearing their serious faces.
10. The troop in charge of personnel hands you a check-in sheet that must be completed before the close of business. But you can’t start doing that until after you head down to supply for gear issue.
11. Then the worst possible scenario happens, the lieutenant on duty walks into the office and asks you “what’s your unit.” You deeply exhale, swallow hard and tell him “this unit, sir.” Then the lieutenant starts to grin like a James Bond villain.
He’s pulling you to stand duty.
12. You desperately reply, “But, I’m supposed to go to supply, sir.”
What was your first day in your first unit like? Comment below.
The 13 funniest memes for the week of Sept. 22
Kim Jong Un has an H-Bomb. These good ol' fashioned military memes will make your last few moments less excruciating. Memes are proven to cool hydrogen burns.
How Taco Bell influenced a rapper to become a Marine
In this episode of the Mandatory Fun podcast, we speak with The Marine Rapper a.k.a. TMR about how he went from wrapping tacos to rapping music lyrics.
These are the best military photos for the week of September 23
The military has very talented photographers in the ranks, and they’re always capturing what life as a service member is like during training and at war. Here are the best military photos of the week.
The US just sent 2,200 of these Fort Bragg paratroopers to Afghanistan
Approximately 2,200 82nd Airborne Division paratroopers began quietly deploying this month, part of a long-discussed troop surge to Afghanistan.
The Marines just took a look at this Civil War battlefield to learn military lessons for the future
The battle, which involved 18,456 mounted troops and was the largest cavalry clash in North America, also remains largely unknown by today's students of military history.
The Air Force is finally getting with the program and planning for urban fights
Air Force Chief of Staff David Goldfein has added urban warfare to his list of top focus areas, predicting that much of the world will live in megacities.
How we found out it's not so easy to fly a Reaper drone
Let's just say computer flight simulator games don't provide enough experience to make a good landing.
Here's what the Marines of 'Full Metal Jacket' are doing today
The Marines killed the enemy together, laughed together, and shared a Da Nang hooker together. But what happened to them after the war? You're about to find out.
Army ditches search for 7.62 battle rifle — for now
Less than two months after the Army issued a request from industry to provide up to 50,000 7.62 battle rifles, sources say the service has pulled the plug on the program.
THE MIGHTY SURVEY GIVE-AWAY
We want to hear your thoughts. Complete our survey for a chance to win 1 of 5 gaming consoles