12 images that perfectly recall checking into your unit for the first time
When young troops graduate from all their intense training and move onto their first duty station, they tend to believe they have the whole world in the palm of their hand.
Going from an “in training” status to working full-time in the military can cause culture shock for many boots.
The day you join your first unit, the real work begins.
For some it’s a rude awakening, so we’ve compiled these images to remind us all that when we check in on day one, we’re not all that.
1. How it felt walking out of S.O.I. after graduation making our way to our first infantry unit.
2. That badass feeling you had on the bus like the worst part of training was over. There’s also a rumor floating around that after everyone checks in they’re going on a three-day liberty.
3. When you get off the bus at the barracks, and you realized no more open squad bays.
4. How you felt entering your three man barracks room for the first time.
5. You then looked inside the bathroom and found it’s a one-man shower stall.
6. The barracks duty comes around and informs you that you need to report to the company office. But you have no freakin’ clue where that is.
7. You walk around the camp looking for a building with a red roof.
8. You finally walk into the company offices and feel so small compared to everyone else.
9. You start sweating bullets and attempt not to make any eye contact with the higher-ups who are all wearing their serious faces.
10. The troop in charge of personnel hands you a check-in sheet that must be completed before the close of business. But you can’t start doing that until after you head down to supply for gear issue.
11. Then the worst possible scenario happens, the lieutenant on duty walks into the office and asks you “what’s your unit.” You deeply exhale, swallow hard and tell him “this unit, sir.” Then the lieutenant starts to grin like a James Bond villain.
He’s pulling you to stand duty.
12. You desperately reply, “But, I’m supposed to go to supply, sir.”
What was your first day in your first unit like? Comment below.
7 more phrases old school veterans can't stop saying — and we love it
We love our old-school veterans that don't have a problem speaking their minds. They have some humorous sayings that we still use to this day.
This Army nurse's epic fight for a memorial for women Vietnam veterans
Some 11,000 women served in Vietnam, many as nurses and many under hostile fire. They had to fight to have their memorial built on the National Mall.
5 tips to prepare potential boots to join the military
No matter which branch you're thinking of joining, these mental and physical tips will help you be ready for when you're staring at a smoky bear hat.
6 reasons the Air Force wants to get its hands on Russian DNA
Ankle bone connected to the shin bone, shin bone connected to the knee bone, knee bone connected to a Russian, Air Force wants to get his genome.
US Navy searches for 3 missing sailors after plane crashes en route to USS Ronald Reagan
The US Navy is conducting a search for the 3 missing sailors after a plane carrying 11 passengers crashed into the sea southeast of Okinawa.
If you don't know about Sword & Plough, you are wrong
The Holidays, like a hyped-up drill sergeant, are upon you. Don't you wish you had a 12-day guide to the best vet-made gifts around? Ho! Ho! Hoo-rah!
Why the 'Butcher of Bosnia' faces a life sentence for war crimes
Ratko Mladic, a former Serbian general, will receive a verdict from the International Criminal Tribunal for war crimes he committed, to include genocide.
Russia swears a cloud of radioactive pollution is not a nuclear accident
A radioactive cloud is moving over parts of Europe, seemingly coming from Russia, reminiscent of the Chernobyl nuclear-power-plant disaster in 1986.
Taliban drug labs targeted by B-52 strikes overnight
American aircraft have targeted drug producing facilities in Afghanistan for the first time under a new strategy aimed at cutting off Taliban funding.