10 gifts for the man in your life who’s operator AF
My Marine husband is the worst to shop for.
The worst, I tell you.
The man sees something he wants and he hauls off and buys it. It makes Christmas shopping extremely difficult.
So in an effort to put together a good Christmas list I asked him to consult with me on an article for WATM’s “10 gifts for the man in your life who’s operator AF.”
This is what he sent me:
1. Operator Stocking
This stocking is definitely operator AF.
- Double Zipper Main Pocket
- Santa Clause Approved & Compatible.
- Modular Webbing for Pouch Attachment
- 3x Polymer D-Rings
- Integrated Drag / Carry Handle
- 2x Hanging Hooks
- External Small Pouch with Elastic Cord Closure
- 3″x2″ Patch Panel
- Made from High Durability Nylon Fabric
2. Hidden gun rack
No one will ever catch him by surprise as he’s flexing in this mirror.
- 16″x52″x3.75″ inside 12″ x48″ 2 3/4″
- Solid hardwood with hardwood plywood back.
- 2 1/4″ Kaizen foam
- mounting hardware
- Includes magnetic lock and one magnetic key.
3. Plate carrier
…Because every operator should wear this every time he leaves the house.
- tab “panes”
- External cummerbund that offers a more stable MOLLE platform
- Cummerbund is fully adjustable and removable
- Small/Medium has three rows of MOLLE webbing
- Large/ X-Large has four rows of MOLLE webbing
- Carrier is not releasable
- Armor not provided
4. SureFire weapons light
…For seeing under the couch and shit.
- Virtually indestructible LED regulated to maximize output and runtime
- Tactical-level output with TIR lens for close- to longer-range applications
- Quick-detach rail clamp
- Accepts optional pistol grip and long gun forend switches
- Weatherproof—O-ring and gasket sealed
- Construction—High-strength aerospace aluminum with Mil-Spec anodizing; impact-resistant polymer; coated tempered window
- Includes high-energy 123A batteries with 10-year shelf life
5. A sweet 1911 handgun
Because every SureFire needs a firearm attached (..and because this is MARSOC AF!).
- M1070CQBP SPECIFICATIONS
- CALIBER .45 ACP
- WEIGHT 2.8lbs (1.27 kg)
- CAPACITY 7+1 Wilson Magazine
- OVERALL LENGTH 8.5in (21.59cm)
- BARREL LENGTH 5in (12.7cm)
- FIRING ACTION Single Action
- FIRING SYSTEM Series 80
6. JetBoil stove
Because even operators need their coffee.
- Best Use Backpacking
- Fuel Type Canister
- Fuel Isobutane-propane
- Auto Ignition Yes
- Integrated Pot Yes
- Burn Time (Max Flame) 100g canister: 42 minutes
- Average Boil Time 4 min. 30 sec.
- Dimensions 7.1 x 4.5 x 4.1 inches
- Liquid Capacity (L) 1 liter
- Liquid Capacity (fl. oz.) 33.8 fluid ounces
- Weight 15.25 ounces
7. Kevlar helmet
Holidays are coming. So are the in-laws. Enough said.
- Meets or exceeds NIJ Level IIIA ballistic standard for penetration
- Meets a minimum of 650 mps V-50 for 17 grain tested according to STANAG 2920
- Shell sizes: S-XL
- Variable thickness, 7 impact absorbing pads can be adjusted or removed for individual comfort
- Pad thickness sizes: standard size 6 @ 3/4” or optimal size 8 @ 1”
- Weight: starting at 2.4 lbs (small)
- Includes: Wilcox NVG mount and side accessory rails
Sometimes an operator just needs to hang shit in the back yard and sleep there.
- JungleNest Hammock
- Your Choice of Atlas or Helios Straps
- Your Choice of Rain Tarp
- Set of Carabiners Included
- Set of Stakes Included
9. Combat boots
For stomping on all those battery operated toys his mother-in-law is going to send the kids this year.
- Quick-drying synthetic leather overlays for durability and support
- Multiple ventilation zones that allow the boot to breathe and drain quickly
- Genuine leather footbed for durability, flexibility and comfort
- Nike Free-inspired outsole, designed for traction and natural range of motion
- Sticky rubber forefoot lugs for exceptional traction on all terrain
- Weight: 15.9 ounces (men’s size 9)
10. Backpacking stove
For when the holidays get to be too much and he takes his SureFire, JungleNest and JetBoil out to the woods for a few days. He’ll need to cook.
- Best Use Backpacking
- Fuel Type Canister, Liquid
- Fuel Auto, Isobutane-propane, White Gas, Kerosene
- Burn Time (Max Flame) (20 oz.white gas) 1 hr. 50 min. / (8 oz. isobutane) 1 hr. 15 min.
- Average Boil Time (White gas) 3 min. 30 sec. / (isobutane) 3 min. 45 sec.
- Dimensions 6 x 6 x 4.75 inches
- Weight (Stove, pump & canister mount) 13.7 ounces
SpaceX launching a third top-secret satellite
SpaceX is launching a secretive mission this month. The mission, shrouded in secrecy, has some considering it may be for the CIA or the NSA.
This is how the Air Force will use prop planes on high-tech battlefields
The Air Force is looking toward a light-attack aircraft program, known as OA-X, to produce a plane that meets its needs and gets the job done.
A retired SEAL commander on how to stop thinking and 'get after it' every day
This former Navy commander has some excellent advice on how to jump start your day, and "get some" in order to make it as productive as possible.
Marines return to battle in 'old stomping grounds'
The Marines recall their "old stomping grounds" as they return to Fallujah and the surround areas of Al Anbar Province to battle a new enemy.
How Chinese drones are set to swarm the global market
China has stepped up it's drone game, and even though United States technology can still compete, China's drones are kind of really in demand.
That time two countries' Special Forces squared off in combat
In an area the size of the Falkland Islands, British and Argentine special operators were bound to run into each other at some point – a lot.
5 times pilots got in trouble for having fun in the sky
When pilots decide to do some fancy flying in their high-performance fighters, it can land them in trouble once they're back on the ground.
This is why Nazis dubbed these paratroopers 'devils in baggy pants'
"American paratroopers – devils in baggy pants – are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can’t sleep at night," wrote one German commander.
9 ISIS weapon fails that you have to see to believe
Many bad guys just want record themselves laying rounds down range for social media purposes — and we're glad they did. Laugh away, America!