15 awesome photos of what mountain warfare looks like
Fighting at sea level is tough, but it doesn’t get any easier thousands of feet up a mountain. The military prepares for fights at altitude by training extensively in challenging weather and terrain. Here are 16 photos that show what it’s like.
1. Narrow passes of ice-covered rocks
2. Getting down the mountain is faster – but more dangerous – than climbing up.
3. Helicopters can make a big difference when they’re available.
4. For getting across the soft snow, skis and snowshoes are handy.
5. Sleds can carry extra gear that won’t fit in a pack.
6. The Marines train on both riding horses and mules, and use them as pack animals.
7. When the snow is melted, standard boots can get the job done.
8. But again, a controlled fall is the easiest way to travel.
9. Traveling across the rock face takes skill and trust in the equipment.
10. Getting around the mountain isn’t enough. Troops have to fight up there.
11. The terrain makes it hard for troops to maneuver on well-placed snipers, so they can be especially effective.
12. Working as a team is key in the mountains.
13. The “Red Hats,” trainers who specialize in mountain operations, know to move as a group.
14. Even on the ropes, it’s best if the team can stay together.
15. You get cool points for taking photos on top of a mountain, but you would get more if you removed the blank adapters first.
SpaceX launching a third top-secret satellite
SpaceX is launching a secretive mission this month. The mission, shrouded in secrecy, has some considering it may be for the CIA or the NSA.
This is how the Air Force will use prop planes on high-tech battlefields
The Air Force is looking toward a light-attack aircraft program, known as OA-X, to produce a plane that meets its needs and gets the job done.
A retired SEAL commander on how to stop thinking and 'get after it' every day
This former Navy commander has some excellent advice on how to jump start your day, and "get some" in order to make it as productive as possible.
Marines return to battle in 'old stomping grounds'
The Marines recall their "old stomping grounds" as they return to Fallujah and the surround areas of Al Anbar Province to battle a new enemy.
How Chinese drones are set to swarm the global market
China has stepped up it's drone game, and even though United States technology can still compete, China's drones are kind of really in demand.
That time two countries' Special Forces squared off in combat
In an area the size of the Falkland Islands, British and Argentine special operators were bound to run into each other at some point – a lot.
5 times pilots got in trouble for having fun in the sky
When pilots decide to do some fancy flying in their high-performance fighters, it can land them in trouble once they're back on the ground.
This is why Nazis dubbed these paratroopers 'devils in baggy pants'
"American paratroopers – devils in baggy pants – are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can’t sleep at night," wrote one German commander.
9 ISIS weapon fails that you have to see to believe
Many bad guys just want record themselves laying rounds down range for social media purposes — and we're glad they did. Laugh away, America!