Air Force says no plan to recall retired pilots
An amended executive order gave the Defense Department the authority to recall up to 1,000 retired pilots to address a personnel shortage.
The Air Force says it doesn’t currently intend to recall those pilots however.
The Air Force says it doesn’t plan to use new authority granted by an amended executive order to recall retired pilots to correct an ongoing personnel shortage.
“The Air Force does not currently intend to recall retired pilots to address the pilot shortage,” Air Force spokeswoman Ann Stefanek said on Oct. 22. “We appreciate the authorities and flexibility delegated to us.”
Trump signed the order on Oct. 20, granting additional authority to the Defense Department under Executive Order 13223.
A Pentagon spokesman said on Oct. 20 that Defense Secretary Jim Mattis requested the move.
Mattis was expected to delegate to the Air Force secretary the authority to recall up to 1,000 retired pilots for up to three years.
Under current law, the Air Force was limited to recalling 25 pilots; the executive order temporarily lifts that cap.
The Air Force has already pursued a number of new policies to retain current pilots and train new ones. In August, the service announced that it would welcome back up to 25 retired pilots who elected to return to fill “critical-rated staff positions” so active-duty pilots could continue in their current assignments.
- All the theories Russia is pushing to claim they weren't behind the nerve agent attack on a former spy in the UK
- Andrew McCabe is out — here are all the casualties of the Trump administration so far
- 'Like a natural disaster had hit': Venezuela's crisis is spilling over its borders — here's what it's like at ground zero of the exodus
- These were the 50 most violent cities in the world in 2017
- The US military is facing a 'real war for talent' — but some valuable recruits could be scared away