Watch that massive battle with Russian mercenaries in Syria
The US military has released footage it says came from a massive battle that reports have indicated took place between Russian military contractors and the US and its Syrian allies in February 2018.
The battle, wherein as many as 500 or so combatants loyal to the Syrian government were said to have advanced toward a known US position in western Syria and fired with tanks and artillery, reportedly ended with up to 300 attackers killed by US airpower and artillery.
The Pentagon says the video it shared showed the US responding to an “unprovoked attack.” News reports indicated the attacking force included mostly Russian nationals, potentially making this one of the deadliest clashes between US and Russian fighters in decades.
The Russian military has denied having a large ground presence in Syria and has sought to distance itself from those it describes as independent contractors. According to Reuters, Russia said only five of its citizens may have been killed in the battle.
The US said it called the Russian military to inform it of the strike before letting loose what multiple reports called a significant air offensive. Sources later told Reuters that Apache helicopters cleaned up what was left of the advance after an initial wave of airstrikes.
Watch the strike footage below:
- A person was injured after a package bound for Austin exploded at a Texas FedEx
- Xi Jinping declares China will 'fight the bloody battle' in hardline speech on Taiwan and Hong Kong
- The Saudi Crown Prince's visit to the US will focus on changing his image rather than policy
- 'Who is Secretary of State here?': Rex Tillerson reportedly locked horns with Jared Kushner over his freewheeling approach to diplomacy
- One Chinese city is using facial-recognition that can help police detect and arrest criminals in as little as 2 minutes