Watch this crazy Russian jet fly within 5 feet of a Navy plane
US Naval Forces Europe-Africa have released footage of a Russian Su-27 intercepting a US Navy EP-3 Aries signals reconnaissance aircraft over the Black Sea on Jan. 29 2018.
“A U.S. EP-3 Aries aircraft flying in international airspace over the Black Sea was intercepted by a Russian Su-27,” the Navy statement read.
“This interaction was determined to be unsafe due to the Su-27 closing to within five feet and crossing directly through the EP-3’s flight path, causing the EP-3 to fly through the Su-27’s jet wash. The duration of the intercept lasted two hours and 40 minutes.”
The intercept is the latest in a string of “unsafe” intercepts that the Russian military has conducted.
In November 2017, a Russian Su-30 fighter flew as close as 50 feet before turning on its afterburners while intercepting a US Navy P-8A Poseidon anti-submarine warfare aircraft over the same area, and in December 2017, two US Air Force F-22s were intercepted by Russian Su-25 and Su-35 jets.
The US Aircraft had to fire flares as warnings to the Russian jets, one of which “had to aggressively maneuver to avoid a midair collision.” Russia has denied the incident in Syria took place.
Check out the footage from the Jan. 29 intercept here:
- Trump has suggested arming teachers to defend classrooms — and veterans are ripping the idea
- Tank teams surprisingly love operating in the rain — so we asked an Abrams platoon leader why
- A judge in Mexico ruled a suspected cartel kingpin's arrest was illegal — and he's already out of jail
- Former US Navy SEAL admiral who planned Bin Laden raid praises Florida students' courage in wake of school shooting
- Ivanka Trump is doomed to draw comparisons to a North Korean 'princess' at the Olympics — here's how the two women known for their 'charm offensive' strategies actually match up