3 incredible Medal of Honor stories that will blow your mind
For over a decade, actor Stephen Lang has performed a one-man show based on the real-life stories of eight Medal of Honor recipients. The play has taken him to U.S. military bases and ships around the world performing for the troops and even before the people he portrays. Recently, footage from his performances was stitched together for the film “Beyond Glory.”
For this episode of the We Are The Mighty Podcast we invited Lang to discuss “Beyond Glory” and three Medal of Honor stories from the film.
- Blake Stilwell: Air Force veteran and Managing Editor
- Orvelin Valle (AKA O.V.): Navy veteran and Podcast Producer
Guest: Stephen Lang
Lang is an acclaimed stage, TV and film actor; you may know him for his role as Ike in “Tombstone” or as Miles Quaritch, the badass Marine colonel with the scars across his face in the movie “Avatar.” Lang began his career in theater. Broadway roles include his Tony-nominated performance as Lou in “The Speed of Darkness,” Happy in the Dustin Hoffman revival of “Death of a Salesman,” Colonel Jessep in ”A Few Good Men,” and Mike Tallman alongside Quentin Tarantino and Marisa Tomei in “Wait Until Dark.”
Selected links and show notes from the episode:
- [01:40] Lewis Millett’s Medal of Honor story – Millett was an Army officer who received the Medal of Honor during the Korean War for leading the last major American bayonet charge.
- [05:40] Discussion with Lang about Lewis Millett.
- [08:05] Discussion with Lang about James Bond Stockdale.
- WATM stories that mention Stockdale:
- [10:55] James Bond Stockdale’s Medal of Honor story – Admiral Stockdale was the highest-ranking naval officer held prisoner during the Vietnam War. He received the Medal of Honor for his leadership among the prisoners and work to galvanize the resistance to their captors.
- [20:40] Lang’s experience performing for the troops
- [22:05] Preparing for a “Beyond Glory” performance.
- [26:05] From Navy warships to the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea, Lang discusses the unique locations he has performed for the troops.
- [28:15] Lang’s drunken experience with Marines during a performance in Bahrain.
- [31:15] Common questions from the troops after a “Beyond Glory” performance.
- [34:15] Meeting the Medal of Honor recipients Lang portrays in his show.
- [36:30] Lang’s painting versus photograph analogy of his performance.
- [39:15] Lang’s recognition by the Medal of Honor Society.
- [40:50] Avatar sequel and other projects Lang is currently working on.
- [45:00] Nick Bacon’s Medal of Honor story – Bacon was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions in combat during the Vietnam War.
- 8 amazing Medal of Honor recipient war stories recited by 1 man
Beyond Glory – Trailer
Music licensed by Jingle Punks:
- Death to Death
- Murikan Freedumb