Spooky military ghost stories and urban legends
There’s a lot of death in the military; that’s what happens in wars — people kill each other. Whether it’s by partaking in the fighting or as a result of collateral damage, it is inevitable.
According to popular myth — mostly what we’ve watched during all those Halloween specials — people become ghosts by suffering a violent or unfair death. By this reasoning, bases and battlefields are gold mines for spooky military ghost stories.
Join us for a ghostly episode of the We Are The Mighty podcast where we explore the lost souls and vengeful spirits roaming military bases and battlefields in the afterlife.
• Logan Nye: Army veteran and Associate Editor
• Blake Stilwell: Air Force veteran and Senior Contributor
• Tracy Woodward: Benevolent smartass and Social Media coordinator
• Orvelin Valle (AKA O.V.): Navy veteran and Podcast Producer
Selected links and show notes:
- The 5 best military ghost stories
- That time US soldiers pretended to be vampires and ghosts to scare the hell out of the enemy
- A bunch of US troops think they saw Bigfoot in Vietnam
- The 6 craziest military myths
- 5 wild conspiracy theories that turned out to be true
- [02:00] Logan’s Stonewall Jackson hometown ghost story.
- [06:50] General Henry Harley “Hap” Arnold’s haunted house at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.
- [09:50] The reason why there’s a lot of military ghosts stories at the Air Force museum.
- [10:55] The military ghost story about the “Hop-along,” a Korean/Vietnam era H-19 Sikorsky helicopter whose seat is still stained with the blood of the pilot who died in it.
- [14:30] The ghost story about the B-29 Superfortress “Bockscar” that dropped the second atomic bomb — “Fat Man” — over Japan during World War II.
- [15:30] The ghost story about the B-24 Liberator downed over North Africa.
- [16:20] The Nazi ghosts roaming the Air Force museum.
- [17:45] The ghost story about the B-24 Liberator “Strawberry Bitch.”
- [20:00] The dreadful feeling visitors get around the “Prisoner of War” exhibit at the Air Force museum.
- [22:50] The urban story about aliens at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.
- [30:05] The ghost story about “Mad” Anthony Wayne.
- [37:15] The never ending battle at “Little Big Horn.”
- [39:50] The ghosts haunting Warren Air Force Base.
- [41:45] The ghosts haunting the USS Hornet, an old Navy aircraft carrier turned museum.
Music license by Jingle Punks
- Heart Beats 1
- Grave Hunter 001
THE MIGHTY SURVEY GIVE-AWAY
We want to hear your thoughts. Complete our survey for a chance to win 1 of 5 gaming consoles