The best military movie characters of all time
Whether they inspired you to join the military or remind you of your time in service, one thing is for sure: In the history of film, there’s a movie character that resembles a buddy or you. Just like in real life, some are lovable, some are righteous, and some are up to no good.
In this episode of the WATM podcast, the boys of the editorial team talk about their favorite characters from iconic military movies.
And which characters do you like? Join the discussion at the WATM Facebook group.
- Logan Nye: Army veteran and WATM Associate Editor
- Blake Stilwell: Air Force veteran and WATM Managing Editor
- Orvelin Valle (AKA O.V.): Navy veteran and WATM Social Media Editor
Selected links and show notes from the episode
• This podcast references the following WATM articles:
- 11 most beloved characters in military movies
- These are the 12 characters in every war movie
- 7 military movie deaths we’re still bummed about
• [00:30] Sgt. Adrian Cronauer – Good Morning Vietnam (1987)
• [05:10] Lt. Dan Taylor – Forrest Gump (1994)
• [05:35] Bubba – Forrest Gump (1994)
• [11:35] Sgt. Elias – Platoon (1986)
• [12:20] Pvt. Dewey “Ox” Oxberger – Stripes (1981)
• [20:30] #Platooning (we’re starting a trend here)
• [21:25] Gunner Sgt. Thomas “Gunny” Highway – Heartbreak Ridge (1986)
• [22:55] Gen. George S. Patton – Patton (1970)
• [27:55] Henry Limpet – The Incredible Mr. Limpet (1964)
• [35:10] Private Trip – Glory (1989)
• [39:40] Lt. (j.g.) Nick “Goose” Bradshaw – Top Gun (1986)
• [47:40] Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore – Apocalypse Now (1979)
• [50:15] Staff Sgt. Sykes – Jarhead (2005)
• [51:25] Lt. Aldo Raine – Inglorious Basterds (2009)
• [53:55] Sgt. 1st Class Norm “Hoot” – Black Hawk Down (2001)
• [57:25] Everyone in Full Metal Jacket (1987)
- Drum March – Jingle Punks
- Danger Zone – Kenny Loggins
- Heavy Drivers – Jingle Punks
This is the latest version of the M9 service pistol
The M9A3 offers a bigger magazine, a user-friendly grip, and a host of improvements based on lessons learned from over three decades of service.
This is what the DoD has planned for a zombie apocalypse
It does touch on many of the pop culture elements of zombie lore, but it breaks things down to become applicable to most situations that would similar to an actual outbreak.
Some dirtbags messed with an Iwo Jima memorial — and Marines caught 'em on film
Officials say an Iwo Jima memorial in Fall River was doused with the contents of a fire extinguisher last weekend. Police are investigating
Vets are going to get a new ID card, and they'll be ready for use next month
The new identification card will provide employers looking to hire veterans with an easier way to verify an employee's military service.
This is the story behind the rise and fall of the Islamic State group
The Islamic State group, responsible for some of the worst atrocities perpetrated against civilians in recent history, appears on the verge of collapse.
Now the Iraqi army is going after the Kurdish forces who helped beat ISIS
Iraqi federal and Kurdish forces exchanged fire on Oct. 20, capping a dramatic week that saw the Kurds hand over territory across Northern Iraq.
This Kurdish female militia refuses to stop its hunt for ISIS terrorists
A Kurdish female militia, after helping free the city of Raqqa, said it will continue the fight to liberate women from the extremists’ brutal rule.
The US just sent nearly 1M bombs and missiles to Guam — here's why
Hint: There's this guy a few thousand miles away who's threatening to lob a nuke in their direction.
This is what the 400 US troops in Somalia are actually up to
The US has quadrupled its military presence in Somalia after Al-Shabab killed nearly 300 civilians in two truck bombings. Half of them are special ops troops.