It's that time of year again: Memorial Day weekend. A solemn moment for the troops to reflect on those we've lost along the way and for our civilian friends and family to join us in honoring our fallen.
Now, I don't fault the civilians who just take the weekend to relax and barbecue as the summer officially starts. You'd be hard-pressed to find a single fallen troop who'd wish to take away someone's enjoyment. Sparking up the grill and enjoying friends and family is a big part of the American way of life that we fought for — and some paid the ultimate price for.
My gripe is with the complete oxymoron that is the phrase, "have a happy Memorial Day." It's just extremely awkward in context. Like, even if someone was a open-bar-at-my-wake kinda person, 'happy' and 'memorial' just don't really mesh.
So, I leave you with this... Have a good Memorial Day weekend, however you choose to spend it. Place flags at your local veterans' cemetery. Crack open an extra cold one for a fallen comrade. Start up the barbecue and tell the kids about the good times you had with your buddy who didn't make it back. If we're being honest with ourselves, they all would have wanted us to have a good day in their honor.
Yeah, that wasn't your typical opener where I practice my stand-up, but I have a feeling I'm not the only one irked by the expression.
Also, here's a SPOILER ALERT. We joke about the final episode of Game of Thrones in the final meme.
Anywho, here're some memes:
1. Ever notice how the phrase "every Marine is a rifleman" has a different meaning between 03 Marines who still focus on their rifle marksmanship and the admin Marines who are desperately trying to flex on other branches?
(Meme via Team Non-Rec)
2. "Finally... My time has arrived."
(Meme via Victor Alpha Clothing)
3. It's a miracle troops ever get anything done. We're always off to be fifteen minutes prior to the fifteen minutes prior...
(Meme via Vet TV)
4. "And... it's.... NOT revoked! Awesome! Time to go do something that'd make the CO pissed and the chaplain disappointed!" Said every lower enlisted ever.
(Meme via Coast Guard Memes)
5. Seriously, people! Where are your goddamn glow belts?
(Meme via Disgruntled Vets)
6. There's no possible way to make a Hellfire Missile even more aweso-- Oh. Carry on.
7. Your picture may be off the Chain of Command board, but it'll never be out of our hearts.
(Meme via Untied Status Marin Crops)
8. "Cover me while I glue!"
(Meme via Military Memes)
9. Sometimes, even breaking things down Barney-style isn't enough...
(Meme via Army as F*ck)
10. Nah. That sailor can't be fat. Obviously, his neck is just big. Duh. Can't also have anything to do with him also being the one in charge of administering the test.
(Meme via Decelerate Your Life)
11. Fun fact: Retention numbers are a good indication for troop morale. If they laugh in the reenlistment NCO's face, then I've got bad news for you...
(Meme via Air Force amn/nco/snco)
12. Basically explains almost every aspect of the military, to be honest.
(Meme via Air Force Nation & Humor)
13. He received a no-walking profile, went OFP for a few seasons, slept through the final battle. But, you know, he shaved and showed up on time... So... Promote his ass.
(Meme via Weapons of Meme Destruction)
- The 13 funniest military memes for the week of April 19th - We Are ... ›
- The 13 funniest military memes for the week of April 26th - We Are ... ›
- The 13 funniest military memes for the week of May 3rd - We Are ... ›
- The 13 funniest military memes for the week of May 10th - We Are ... ›
- The 13 funniest military memes for the week of May 17th - We Are ... ›
- The 13 funniest military memes for the week of May 18th - Americas Military Entertainment Brand ›
- The 13 funniest military memes for the week of June 1st - Americas Military Entertainment Brand ›
- The 13 funniest military memes for the week of June 8 - Americas Military Entertainment Brand ›
- Autumn in memes: Here’s what the military thinks about fall - Americas Military Entertainment Brand ›