China just showed off a missile it says can target the US
At a parade touting Beijing’s massive military might on the 90th anniversary of the founding of the People’s Liberation Army, China rolled out it’s newest intercontinental ballistic missile, the DF-31AG.
Unlike the DF-31 before it, the DF-31AG boasts a range extended to above 6,800 miles, which means that most of the continental US is in range, according to the Center for International and Strategic Studies.
Additionally, the DF-31AG can carry multiple nuclear warheads, or even a conventional warhead.
As Zhou Chenming, a military observer based in Beijing, told the South China Morning Post: “We’re not in the cold war anymore, extremely powerful weapons like nuclear missiles are no longer the mainstream. We’ll still keep our nuclear strength, but when we face some regular threats we don’t need to use nuclear warheads to attack, but will resort to some conventional warheads instead.”
Another upgrade to the survivability and lethality of the missile comes from the truck that carries it. Like the DF-31, it’s mobile and therefore can evade attacking forces, hide, and fire from surprising locations. But unlike the previous model, the DF-31AG can actually go off road, further complicating any plans to neutralize China’s nuclear might.
Watch the rollout of the DF-31AG below:
China’s new DF-31AG intercontinental missiles make public debut at military parade in Zhurihe base in Inner Mongolia pic.twitter.com/PaTeQp4TPN
— People’s Daily,China (@PDChina) July 30, 2017
- North Korea tells the US it is 'fully ready for both dialogue and war'
- The Army is equipping tanks with a high-tech protective system it's been working on for decades as it prepares for a great-power war
- The US's top military-intelligence official described how the war on Mexico's cartels has produced even more violence
- The Army is testing a replacement for the Hellfire missile — and pilots like what they see
- Insane photos of US Marines drinking cobra blood during a jungle survival exercise in Thailand