Oliver Stone thinks Edward Snowden is a hero
In the first full trailer for Snowden, Oliver Stone’s biopic of the NSA contractor who leaked classified documents to the media in 2013, the director makes clear that he thinks Edward Snowden is an American hero.
The movie version of Snowden (played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt) is a good soldier who trains on broken legs without complaint for two weeks, aspired to serve in special forces and wants to join the CIA to serve his country. He is shocked by what he sees at the NSA and wants the rest of America to make an informed decision in the privacy versus security debate.
All of this matches up perfectly with Vietnam veteran Stone’s long-time movie obsessions with shadowy government figures and national security. After getting delayed twice, the movie finally opens in theaters on September 16.
THE MIGHTY SURVEY GIVE-AWAY
We want to hear your thoughts. Complete our survey for a chance to win 1 of 5 gaming consoles
- Attacker Drives Van Into Barcelona Crowd; 1 Dead, 32 Hurt
- Bannon: No Military Solution in North Korea
- Strykers Now Armed with Bigger Gun, New Missile for Russian Threat
- No Plans to Change Names of Bases Honoring Confederate Generals
- Appeal Denied for Former Army Officer Convicted of Afghan Murders
- Leader of Charlottesville White Nationalist Group Was Marine Recruiter
Follow @militarydotcom on Twitter .