Russia's aircraft carrier has started launching sorties over Syria
As of yet, no strikes have been carried out. Only scouting missions involving the Su-33s and MiG-29Ks have gone forward, according to Lagrone.
While the Kuznetsov and attack planes on board add little to Russia’s capabilities in the region, the US has nonetheless condemned Russia escalating a conflict where humanitarian catastrophes and possibly war crimes go on with some regularity.
“We are aware of reports that the Russian Federation is preparing to escalate their military campaign in Syria. The United States, time and again, has worked to try and de-escalate the violence in Syria and provide humanitarian aid to civilians suffering under siege,” a Pentagon statement provided to USNI News on Wednesday read.
Russia’s deployment of the troubled, Soveit-era Kuznetsov to Syria serves little military purpose, and likely deployed for propaganda purposes.
THE MIGHTY SURVEY GIVE-AWAY
We want to hear your thoughts. Complete our survey for a chance to win 1 of 5 gaming consoles
- 100 years ago, the real-life Lawrence of Arabia authored a leadership pamphlet full of insights that are still useful today
- The US Navy is getting a 'game-changing' upgrade that could turn the tables on China and Russia
- A van plowed into dozens of people on a tourist-heavy street in Barcelona — suspect in custody, multiple fatalities reported
- These photos of the border between North and South Korea show just how disastrous a nuclear strike could be
- US kills 7 al Shabaab fighters in Somalia air strike
- The US-North Korean crisis will face a major test on Monday as Kim Jong Un holds his fire on Guam
Follow @BusinessInsider on Twitter .