These 13 Chesty Puller quotes show why Marines will love and respect him forever
Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, is a Marine Corps icon who's known for his quotable quotes nearly as much as his battlefield accomplishments.
Here are 17 of the lines that show why Puller is beloved to this day:
2. "Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!"
3. "You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em."
5. "Hit hard, hit fast, hit often."
6. "Where the Hell do you put the bayonet?"
(He said this while at a flamethrower demonstration. Apparently, Puller wanted to be ready to stab the men he set on fire.)
8. "Great. Now we can shoot at those bastards from every direction."
(Puller said the gem above after being asked to comment on the 22 Chinese divisions surrounding his First Marine division. The First Marines successfully broke through Chinese lines and advanced south, destroying seven of the Chinese divisions in the process.)
11. "There are not enough chinamen in the world to stop a fully armed Marine regiment from going where ever they want to go."
12. "We make generals today on the basis of their ability to write a damned letter. Those kinds of men can't get us ready for war."
13. "Son, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one."
(This was Puller's response to a young Marine who was asking permission to be married.)