This is what the North Korean military looks like
North Korea’s military escapades were back in the headlines in December, after state media in the secretive country reported news of two large-scale military drills involving rocket launchers and fighter jets.
Some analysts believe that Kim Jong Un, the country’s despotic leader, is gearing up for war against South Korea — pictures accompanying one report even showed a mock-up of the Blue House, South Korea’s presidential residence, being used as a target by artillery. Others, however, say the drills are the latest in a long line of “sabre-rattling” manoeuvres designed to intimidate neighbours.
In either case, the country’s missile development and huge artillery stocks pose a significant danger to South Korea and the rest of the world.
It is one of the world’s most secretive countries, so the information largely comes from other sources, but the state’s propaganda efforts mean there are plenty of pictures of the country’s colossal military capacity. Take a look.
*Mike Bird contributed reporting to an earlier version of this article.
- Why Russia, Assad, and Iran combined don't stand a chance against just 2,000 US troops in Syria
- What goes on inside the secretive, semi-official talks between the North Korea, the US, and South Korea
- 15 years ago, the US invaded Iraq — here's how it changed the Middle East country
- The US's newest, most advanced attack sub is ready to prowl the seas — check out the USS Colorado
- Why Russia is so involved in the Syrian Civil War