Tragic accident takes young Marine's life at Camp Pendleton
A U.S. Marine was killed in a freak accident on August 4 after a tree fell on him during physical training at his California base.
Lance Cpl. Cody Haley, 20, was working out in a wooded area at Camp Pendleton with members of his unit when the incident took place. While on a run, the Marines tried to move a log they were unaware was holding up a dead tree, which fell on top of Haley and killed him, according to a source familiar with the matter.
A native of Hardin, Iowa, Haley had deployed in 2016 with the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit. He was awarded the National Defense Service medal, the Global War on Terrorism Service medal, and the Sea Service Deployment ribbon, the Marine Corps said.
- NO DEAL: Senate leaders say they have yet to reach deal to end shutdown, will continue into work week
- The Defense department made a last-minute change to allow overseas troops to watch the NFL playoffs during the government shutdown
- Trump reportedly asked South Korea's president to publicly give him kudos for the talks with North Korea
- Democratic senator calls Trump 'Cadet Bone Spurs' during fiery speech on the shutdown's impact on the military
- North Korea is not building nuclear weapons to destroy the US or unify Korea — the real reasons are much more surprising