China's first domestically made aircraft carrier began sea trials on May 13, 2018.
The Type 001A carrier left its port in the northeastern city of Dalian is undergoing tests of its power system, according to state-run media outlet Xinhua. Further tests are expected to check radar and communication systems as well a leakage.
China's first carrier, Liaoning, was a second-hand ship purchased in 1998 from Ukraine. The new ship is an upgrade to the Soviet-era carrier and will be able to carry 35 aircraft.
Aircraft Carrier Liaoning CV-16
The China Shipbuilding Industry Corporation previously confirmed that a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier is being developed and expected by 2025.
This article originally appeared on Business Insider. Follow @BusinessInsider on Twitter.
- China navy parades aircraft carrier, nuclear subs in South China ... ›
- These are the world's newest aircraft carriers - Business Insider ›
- The US Navy's next advanced aircraft carrier is 70% complete ... ›
- 21 photos of America's aircraft carriers - Business Insider ›
- These are the 20 aircraft carriers in service today - Business Insider ›