Heading into Sunday's Battle of Winterfell "Game of Thrones" episode, fans had their sights on the crypts of Winterfell and were prepared for horror to be unleashed inside. But, strangely, none of the characters on the HBO show seemed concerned about hiding out among decaying bodies when their enemy had the ability to raise the dead.
"We're in a crypt. Nobody thought of that," Peter Dinklage, who plays Tyrion Lannister, said in an HBO video. "[The Night King is] bringing all the dead people back to life. And they've put the women and children in a crypt with all the dead people so ... blah."
Dinklage appears clearly flummoxed by the characters' lack of foresight when it came to the dangers of the crypts.
"Tyrion is smart, but I guess not that smart," Dinklage continued.
Ahead of the episode, fans were theorizing the many different ways the fight against the Night King might shake down. The dead Starks buried in the crypts being raised by the Night King and attacking all the people hiding in the "safe" place was among the chief predictions.
Some people, including us, thought this was a terrible guess because surely Jon Snow and the Starks would've thought about this possibility? But nope. The dead were raised, and many people were killed. (Though not any of the main characters who were in the crypts.)
Varys even joked about how the crypts were a good place to die.
We were surprised to see nobody defending the living against the dead inside the crypts, either. Arya had given Sansa a dragonglass dagger, but she hid with Tyrion and didn't use it.
In the above HBO video, behind-the-scenes footage seems to show Dinklage and Sophie Turner (Sansa) getting in on the action and taking down a pair of wights. But either that wasn't a real scene they were filming, or that moment never made it into the episode.
And so many lives were sacrificed both inside and out of the crypts of Winterfell. For a full rundown of the major fallen characters, read our list of the dead here.
"Game of Thrones" season eight continues on Sunday at 9 p.m. ET.
This article originally appeared on Insider. Follow @thisisinsider on Twitter.
- 15 details you might have missed on the latest episode of 'Game of Thrones'
- How Arya's major moment at the Battle of Winterfell was foreshadowed last season
- Every 'Game of Thrones' character who survived the Battle of Winterfell
- 23 questions 'Game of Thrones' left unanswered after that series-shaking battle episode
- 'SNL' Spoofs 'Game of Thrones' Spin-Off Shows in Hilarious Sketch ... ›
- 'Game of Thrones' composer Ramin Djawadi teases new season 8 ... ›
- 'Game of Thrones' season 8 premiere ratings: total viewers 17 million ›
- These 11 'Game of Thrones' Characters Must Die Before the End ... ›