10 photos show how the battle in 'Avengers: Endgame' looks without visual effects
"Avengers: Endgame" was one of the biggest films of 2019, earning more than $1 billion at the box office.
The film, which was a culmination of a decade of Marvel movies, featured time travel, heartbreaking moments, and a major battle sequence. Larger-than-life moments were made possible through the use of computer-generated imagery (also known as CGI) and other special effects. And oftentimes, the most exciting scenes in the movie were filmed in front of a green screen.
In a new video shared by Marvel Entertainment, "Endgame" visual effects supervisor Dan DeLeeuw broke down the film's major battle sequence with Ryan Penagos.
Keep reading to see how different "Endgame" looks without special effects.
1. The superheroes returned for the fight by stepping through portals.
The superheroes returned after stepping through portals.
Each portal was created entirely using special effects.
The portals were created using special effects.
2. The Avengers ran straight toward Thanos and his army.
The Avengers prepare for their final "Endgame" battle.
(Walt Disney Studios)
They assembled once everyone returned.
When the stars filmed the scene, they were just running toward six men in motion capture suits.
Thanos' army was much smaller.
DeLeeuw said that having the six people facing the actors helped them figure out where their eyes should move during the scene.
3. In the movie, Spider-Man passes the infinity gauntlet to Captain Marvel, with Scarlet Witch, Valkyrie, Okoye, Pepper Potts, Shuri, and Mantis nearby.
Spider-Man giving Captain Marvel the gauntlet.
Captain Marvel meets all the Avengers for the first time in "Endgame."
The scene was actually filmed without Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie and her winged horse.
Brie Larson stars as Captain Marvel.
Holland and his stunt double wore motion capture suits to film. Special effects were later added to create the iron suit that's seen in the movie.
4. Captain America finally get his hands on Thor's hammer.
Captain America wielded Thor's hammer in "Endgame."
He was always worthy.
The moment seems much less dramatic when you see it filmed in front of a green screen.
Chris Evans stars as Captain America.
5. Drax and Korg teamed up to take down one of the aliens from Thanos' army.
Korg and Drax attacked an alien.
In real life, Bautista jumped onto a large structure and stabbed it while another person held it in place.
Dave Bautista stars as Drax.
6. Hulk wore red armor during the fight scene.
Hulk is played by Mark Ruffalo.
Ruffalo wore a motion capture suit and headpiece while filming.
Dave Bautista, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, and Chris Evans filming.
The Hulk that appeared on screen was made possible thanks to CGI technology.
7. Captain America used the hammer and his shield to fend off Thanos.
Captain America threw his shield at Thanos.
The scene looked a little different behind-the-scenes.
Chris Evans stars as Captain America.
8. One scene in the film showed Scarlett Witch and Valkyrie jumping into the action.
Elizabeth Olsen and Tessa Thompson.
Elizabeth Olsen plays Scarlet Witch and Tessa Thompson stars as Valkyrie.
Olsen was able to fly through the use of wires and Thompson sat on a chair that required two people in order to move.
Valkryie was introduced in "Thor: Ragnarok."
9. Pepper Potts wore a suit designed by Tony Stark.
Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts.
The suit also included wings.
The light-up elements and other details of the suit were added using special effects.
Gwyneth Paltrow has been part of the MCU since "Iron Man."
10. Wong used his sorcery to open portals.
Benedict Wong stars as Wong in the MCU.
Peter Parker referred to the rings as "yellow sparkly things."
Obviously, there were no fiery rings used in the making of the scene.
Benedict Wong and Evangeline Lilly.
The character was first introduced in "Doctor Strange."
This article originally appeared on Insider. Follow @thisisinsider on Twitter.
- A simple 'polypill' taken every day can cut the risk of heart attack in half, but some doctors are still hesitant to recommend it
- We tried the pumpkin latte at both Starbucks and Dunkin', and found that there's good reason why the original is so famous
- People are using everything from bloody Marys to herbal supplements to treat hangovers. Only some of the remedies actually work.
- Gwyneth Paltrow says 'Avengers: Endgame' will be her last Marvel movie: 'I'm a bit old to be in a suit'
- Marvel confirms that Valkyrie is the first LGBTQ superhero in its movies, and many fans are