MIGHTY TACTICAL
Graham Rapier

Elon Musk accepts Ford's challenge for Cybertruck tug-of-war rematch

(Elon Musk via Twitter)

A top Ford executive implied on Nov. 25, 2019, that Tesla's video showing its new Cybertruck beating an F-150 in a tug-of-war might not have been completely fair.

"Hey @elonmusk send us a Cybertruck and we will do the apples to apples test for you," Sunny Madra, who leads Ford X, the automaker's mobility-ventures lab, said on Twitter. Not long after, Tesla's billionaire CEO accepted the challenge, saying "bring it on."


On Nov. 21, 2019, as part of a laser-filled reveal that didn't always go to plan, Tesla CEO Elon Musk went out of his way to take shots at Ford and other automakers.

"You want a truck that's really tough, not fake tough," he said.

Ford was quick to fight back.

"We've always focused on serving our truck customers regardless of what others say or do," a Ford representative told Business Insider.

Madra's tweet appears to be the first time since the Tesla reveal that a Ford executive has publicly discussed the Cybertruck. Musk responded to the Ford executive's challenge on Nov. 25, 2019: "Bring it on," he said.

For its part, Ford has big plans for its own electric-truck fleet.

Earlier this year, Ford showed off an electric F-150 prototype that handily towed 1 million pounds of train cars for 1,000 feet. (For context, a properly configured Ford F-150 pickup truck can tow 13,200 pounds.)

It's not clear whether Tesla will take Madra up on the offer of a test, which could be the first of its kind for the nascent electric-vehicle industry — and certainly a treat for automotive fans.

This article originally appeared on Business Insider. Follow @BusinessInsider on Twitter.