Elon Musk accepts Ford's challenge for Cybertruck tug-of-war rematch
A top Ford executive implied on Nov. 25, 2019, that Tesla's video showing its new Cybertruck beating an F-150 in a tug-of-war might not have been completely fair.
"Hey @elonmusk send us a Cybertruck and we will do the apples to apples test for you," Sunny Madra, who leads Ford X, the automaker's mobility-ventures lab, said on Twitter. Not long after, Tesla's billionaire CEO accepted the challenge, saying "bring it on."
On Nov. 21, 2019, as part of a laser-filled reveal that didn't always go to plan, Tesla CEO Elon Musk went out of his way to take shots at Ford and other automakers.
"You want a truck that's really tough, not fake tough," he said.
Ford was quick to fight back.
"We've always focused on serving our truck customers regardless of what others say or do," a Ford representative told Business Insider.
Madra's tweet appears to be the first time since the Tesla reveal that a Ford executive has publicly discussed the Cybertruck. Musk responded to the Ford executive's challenge on Nov. 25, 2019: "Bring it on," he said.
For its part, Ford has big plans for its own electric-truck fleet.
Earlier this year, Ford showed off an electric F-150 prototype that handily towed 1 million pounds of train cars for 1,000 feet. (For context, a properly configured Ford F-150 pickup truck can tow 13,200 pounds.)
It's not clear whether Tesla will take Madra up on the offer of a test, which could be the first of its kind for the nascent electric-vehicle industry — and certainly a treat for automotive fans.
This article originally appeared on Business Insider. Follow @BusinessInsider on Twitter.
- People have been ridiculing Tesla's new Cybertruck for its unusual design — but some big names in Silicon Valley say they love the pickup
- Tesla surges after Elon Musk says more than 200,000 people have ordered the controversial new Cybertruck
- People are saying the 'cybergirl' who introduced Elon Musk at Tesla's Cybertruck unveiling was girlfriend Grimes — here's the evidence
- Tesla Cybertruck image teases Cybercamper with tent, cooking ... ›
- Top podcasts for the commuting veteran - We Are The Mighty ... ›
- Some of the world's smartest people are worried about killer robots ... ›