12 images that perfectly recall checking into your unit for the first time
When young troops graduate from all their intense training and move onto their first duty station, they tend to believe they have the whole world in the palm of their hand.
Going from an “in training” status to working full-time in the military can cause culture shock for many boots.
The day you join your first unit, the real work begins.
For some it’s a rude awakening, so we’ve compiled these images to remind us all that when we check in on day one, we’re not all that.
1. How it felt walking out of S.O.I. after graduation making our way to our first infantry unit.
2. That badass feeling you had on the bus like the worst part of training was over. There’s also a rumor floating around that after everyone checks in they’re going on a three-day liberty.
3. When you get off the bus at the barracks, and you realized no more open squad bays.
4. How you felt entering your three man barracks room for the first time.
5. You then looked inside the bathroom and found it’s a one-man shower stall.
6. The barracks duty comes around and informs you that you need to report to the company office. But you have no freakin’ clue where that is.
7. You walk around the camp looking for a building with a red roof.
8. You finally walk into the company offices and feel so small compared to everyone else.
9. You start sweating bullets and attempt not to make any eye contact with the higher-ups who are all wearing their serious faces.
10. The troop in charge of personnel hands you a check-in sheet that must be completed before the close of business. But you can’t start doing that until after you head down to supply for gear issue.
11. Then the worst possible scenario happens, the lieutenant on duty walks into the office and asks you “what’s your unit.” You deeply exhale, swallow hard and tell him “this unit, sir.” Then the lieutenant starts to grin like a James Bond villain.
He’s pulling you to stand duty.
12. You desperately reply, “But, I’m supposed to go to supply, sir.”
What was your first day in your first unit like? Comment below.
How African nations boosted a strong anti-terror force to fight jihadis
African nations have decided to battle against the spread of Islamic extremism in Africa. France, along with several European countries, supports them.
Watch the trailer for Clint Eastwood's new Spencer Stone movie
In Clint Eastwood's new movie, "The 15:17 to Paris", he made the boldly cast the three American heroes as themselves. We Are the Mighty has the trailer.
Why the US is suddenly willing to talk to North Korea
The U.S. said it has a direct line of communication with North Korea; coincidentally a day after Dennis Rodman said he wanted to intervene on their behalf.
10 reasons all troops should have a pet
Two of the greatest things ever are pets and our troops coming home. Nothing will pull at your heartstrings like when the two are combined.
12 important things that need to be in your bug-out bag yesterday
There are a lot of disasters happening these days. Our resident operator says you need these bare essentials in case of a fast, unplanned evacuation.
These are the insane dangers of being a combat engineer
Once a combat engineer locates an improvised explosive device, the danger's just begun. These guys are tough as nails as they face danger on each patrol.
Yes, the Army has fixed-wing aircraft and it flew this tank for 30 years
This obscure United States Army transport could bring 30 troops or three pallets of cargo to a location where a C-130 Hercules was unable to land.
5 life lessons today's troops could learn from Vietnam vets
The truth is, that old Vietnam vet you met at the Legion while trying to get cheap drinks isn't all that different from the men and women fighting today.