Marine scout snipers are some lethal dudes, capable of sending lead downrange with great accuracy. Here’s what makes them so deadly.
Marine scout snipers are some lethal dudes. Capable of sending lead downrange with great accuracy, they're also great for getting eyes on the battlefield for persistent reconnaissance.
How deadly are Marine snipers? Find out here
1. Yes, the Marines are masters of stealth, trained to stalk and hunt enemy troops or, more commonly, set up firing points to strike targets of opportunity and protect friendly forces.
2. To achieve this, they become masters of reading the terrain, ballistics, and tactics. These skills have to be combined to ensure that they can predict a target's actions and engage it accurately.
3. Of course, they don't have to rely on only their own weapons systems. The snipers can report enemy activity and request other fires such as artillery or aircraft to engage targets, keeping the sniper's position secret.
4. Spotters usually handle the duties of conducting calls for artillery or close air support, and they also help the sniper find and engage targets by scanning the battlefield and relaying environmental information like wind speed and range.
5. Like any good Marine, the scout snipers can arrive on the battlefield in a number of ways, from riding in on the waves in AAVs to fast roping out of Ospreys.
6. Rucking in can give them a much stealthier insertion. The spotter will assist carrying the ammo for the sniper.
7. Scout snipers can engage the enemy with a variety of long-range rifles.
8. The M40 is one of their most commonly-deployed weapons.
9. And of course, the Barrett M82 .50-cal. sniper rifle is so powerful you could kill a building.
10. To properly employ all this lethality, scout snipers stay super fit.
11. Look at these guys. Carrying rucksacks. Drinking from Camel Baks.
12. Scout snipers are always there for you. Or maybe right behind you. Or possibly 1,000 meters front of you. They're so stealthy, you can't actually be sure. But they can kill you from practically anywhere.