Leaked Star Wars Episode IX poster makes a huge change
The first promotional poster for the long-awaited Star Wars: Episode IX has hit the internet and it's pretty shocking. What's shocking about the poster isn't what it depicts, but rather, what — and who — is missing. In fact, this is the first promotional image for a new Star Wars movie since 2005 that hasn't contained a big-deal character from the original classic trilogy. (The Force Awakens had Han and Leia, and The Last Jedi had Luke and Leia. Even the Rogue One poster had Darth Vader!) So, sure, with this one, you've got Chewbacca and a hardcore version of C-3PO repping for the '70s and '80s, but Leia and Luke (who are both confirmed for the film!) are missing from this poster. What could that mean?
On March 27, 2019, the Star Wars fan-run site Making Star Wars posted leaked art for what they are calling a "retail" poster for Star Wars: Episode IX. This image does not contain the long-awaited title for that movie but also notably omits any depiction of the Skywalker twins — Leia Oranga and Luke Skywalker. (Note: StarWars.com has not posted this yet. This is a leak discovered by a fan site.) Is this legit? Seems like it.
Still, though this leak looks legit, this isn't necessarily the "official" movie poster. It could be a promotional collage created for anything from a toy package to a cereal box. The point is, we're not sure what this image is intended for. But there are several things about it that are interesting. In order, here's the big stuff.
- Kylo Ren is wearing his helmet, which, we saw him break into a million little pieces during a hissy fit in The Last Jedi. (So is it really Kylo Ren? Or someone rocking his style?)
- Kylo Ren is holding his lightsaber at a weird angle, which really makes you wonder if it's actually him. Like is this his new fighting style?
- Rey's lightsaber seems to be in one piece. (It was destroyed in The Last Jedi. What's up with that?)
- On the upper right, we can see Naomi Ackie as "Jannah." (She's rumored to be Lando's daughter.)
- The masked character behind Poe Dameron on the right is thought to be "Zorri." This is probably who Kerri Russell is playing in the movie!
- The Knights of Ren are back, and seemingly, not in a flashback. (Are they gonna take their masks off or what?)
- C-3PO is holding a weapon, that looks almost exactly like Chewbacca's famous bowcaster. Most Star Wars pundits don't think this a cropping mistake. It seems like this is totally real. (Does this mean C-3PO is gonna be a badass now?)
- New all-red Stormtroopers are revealed. The rumor here is they only report to Kylo Ren.
- The title is not revealed.
- And finally…Rose, Luke, Leia, and R2-D2 are all missing from the poster.
Jason Ward, who runs Making Star Wars has theorized, that this leaked art isn't final. His theory — which makes sense — is this is an early concept piece which might not reflect what is actually happening in the movie.
Right now, the first trailer and title-reveal for Star Wars: Episode IX are both expected in a few weeks at Star Wars Celebration, a convention that takes place from April 11- April 15, 2019, in Chicago. Back in 2017, the title for The Last Jedi dropped before the first trailer, but the trailer itself did debut at Star Wars Celebration.
Star Wars: Episode IX is out everywhere on Dec. 20, 2019.
This article originally appeared on Fatherly. Follow @FatherlyHQ on Twitter.