New drone footage shows what remains of the Syrian compound where ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi died as US Delta Force commandos raided the secret lair on Oct. 26, 2019.
Turkish state-run news outlet Anadolu Agency released the footage Oct. 28, 2019. It shows the compound in Barissa, Syria, completely leveled, with people milling about in the rubble.
US fighter jets fired six rockets into the building after the kill team left, in order to prevent the building from turning into a shrine for the terrorist leader.
Watch the full video below:Drone Video Shows The Devastated Compound Where Al-Baghdadi Died | NBC News
Earlier this month, Trump announced he was removing American troops from northern Syria, causing Turkey to invade the region, which may explain why it was a Turkish news outlet that got to the scene first to take the drone video.
Trump said Al-Baghdadi fled into an underground network of tunnels when the raid started, wearing a suicide vest and bringing three children with him.
Drone footage of the compound, bottom right, was taken by a Turkish state-run media outlet.
When he reached the end of the tunnel, Trump said the most wanted terrorist in the world ignited the suicide vest, killing himself and all three of the children.
The explosion caused the tunnel to cave in, so US forces weren’t able to completely remove Baghdadi’s body. But they got enough of it to conduct DNA testing to confirm that the man was indeed the head of ISIS.
US forces stayed on the scene for about two hours, recovering highly sensitive information on the group.
This article originally appeared on Business Insider. Follow @BusinessInsider on Twitter.
- Activist video purports to show moment of US raid on al-Baghdadi ISIS compound. Photos show the wreckage left in its wake.
- Trump downplayed central role Kurds played in Baghdadi raid after abandoning them in Syria
- Spies stole ISIS leader al-Baghdadi’s underwear to help confirm his location before the US raid, Kurdish forces say
- The US military is preparing to release photos and videos of the secretive mission against the leader of ISIS
- US troops took and tested ‘substantial parts’ of ISIS leader al-Baghdadi’s body after killing him — which were later buried at sea