“Avengers: Endgame” was one of the biggest films of 2019, earning more than $1 billion at the box office.
The film, which was a culmination of a decade of Marvel movies, featured time travel, heartbreaking moments, and a major battle sequence. Larger-than-life moments were made possible through the use of computer-generated imagery (also known as CGI) and other special effects. And oftentimes, the most exciting scenes in the movie were filmed in front of a green screen.
In a new video shared by Marvel Entertainment, “Endgame” visual effects supervisor Dan DeLeeuw broke down the film’s major battle sequence with Ryan Penagos.
Keep reading to see how different “Endgame” looks without special effects.
The superheroes returned after stepping through portals.
The portals were created using special effects.
The Avengers prepare for their final “Endgame” battle.
(Walt Disney Studios)
2. The Avengers ran straight toward Thanos and his army.
They assembled once everyone returned.
Thanos’ army was much smaller.
When the stars filmed the scene, they were just running toward six men in motion capture suits.
DeLeeuw said that having the six people facing the actors helped them figure out where their eyes should move during the scene.
Spider-Man giving Captain Marvel the gauntlet.
3. In the movie, Spider-Man passes the infinity gauntlet to Captain Marvel, with Scarlet Witch, Valkyrie, Okoye, Pepper Potts, Shuri, and Mantis nearby.
Captain Marvel meets all the Avengers for the first time in “Endgame.”
Brie Larson stars as Captain Marvel.
The scene was actually filmed without Tessa Thompson’s Valkyrie and her winged horse.
Holland and his stunt double wore motion capture suits to film. Special effects were later added to create the iron suit that’s seen in the movie.
Captain America wielded Thor’s hammer in “Endgame.”
4. Captain America finally get his hands on Thor’s hammer.
He was always worthy.
Chris Evans stars as Captain America.
Korg and Drax attacked an alien.
5. Drax and Korg teamed up to take down one of the aliens from Thanos’ army.
Dave Bautista stars as Drax.
Hulk is played by Mark Ruffalo.
Dave Bautista, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, and Chris Evans filming.
Ruffalo wore a motion capture suit and headpiece while filming.
The Hulk that appeared on screen was made possible thanks to CGI technology.
Captain America threw his shield at Thanos.
Chris Evans stars as Captain America.
Elizabeth Olsen and Tessa Thompson.
8. One scene in the film showed Scarlett Witch and Valkyrie jumping into the action.
Elizabeth Olsen plays Scarlet Witch and Tessa Thompson stars as Valkyrie.
Valkryie was introduced in “Thor: Ragnarok.”
Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts.
9. Pepper Potts wore a suit designed by Tony Stark.
The suit also included wings.
Gwyneth Paltrow has been part of the MCU since “Iron Man.”
Benedict Wong stars as Wong in the MCU.
10. Wong used his sorcery to open portals.
Peter Parker referred to the rings as “yellow sparkly things.”
Benedict Wong and Evangeline Lilly.
Obviously, there were no fiery rings used in the making of the scene.
The character was first introduced in “Doctor Strange.”
This article originally appeared on Insider. Follow @thisisinsider on Twitter.
- A simple ‘polypill’ taken every day can cut the risk of heart attack in half, but some doctors are still hesitant to recommend it
- We tried the pumpkin latte at both Starbucks and Dunkin’, and found that there’s good reason why the original is so famous
- People are using everything from bloody Marys to herbal supplements to treat hangovers. Only some of the remedies actually work.
- Gwyneth Paltrow says ‘Avengers: Endgame’ will be her last Marvel movie: ‘I’m a bit old to be in a suit’
- Marvel confirms that Valkyrie is the first LGBTQ superhero in its movies, and many fans are