Well. The world still isn't doing too great right now and the ghost of Nero is somewhere out there presumably fiddling. Another week of social distancing, binge-watching shows you never thought you'd care about and there's still a shortage of sh*t tickets as we haven't even gotten to the apex of this pandemic.
The news seems bleak at the moment but there are cases of folks coming out the other side of this sickness. In particular, two WWII veterans – Bill Kelly, 95, and Bill Lapschies, 104. Now, I'm not the type of guy to bring up "feel good" fluff pieces for the sake of feel-good-ness. I bring them up because their interviews are both perfect responses of what you'd expect from the Greatest Generation's vets.
Kelly responded with a, "I survived the foxholes of Guam, I can get through this coronavirus bullsh*t!" and Lapschies, who celebrated his 104th birthday with a full recovery, says he's "pretty good. I made it. Good for a few more!" After some internet sleuthing, Lapschies does appear to be the oldest survivor of the coronavirus from what I could find.
Just goes to show you that even in the worst moments, veterans of all eras have an instinctual habit of keeping a stiff upper lip and a sense of humor. Speaking of which, here's some memes…
1. That’s just normal wear and tear common among 24-year olds… Definitely…
2. So, just like when you were in?
3. We are all just filling slots on one duty roster or another.
4. Just be the guy that goes to “motivate” the stragglers. Works every time!
5. It’s great that they’re out making care packages for folks in need, but I draw the line when they tell me that I can’t throw a raging party on the beach and high fiving everyone I can.
6. That best-selling novel isn’t going to write itself!
7. The virus can’t get you if you take a knee and drink water. My NCO told me, so it has to be true.
8. Despite what the recycled FTA drop-out asking to be thanked for his almost service says, no one was cool in Basic/Boot Camp.
9. You didn’t think it’d be that easy to leave Fort Polk, did you?
10. When she says, “it’s fine,” just carry on with your day. Let her know that you believe her at face value and that you believe the words she says. That has never gone wrong. Ever.
11. As someone who was issued a pair of “Up-armored Eyewear,” I can attest to its ability.
12. Can you mark it as a dependent? I’m asking for a friend…
13. You’d be surprised what I’d do for a roll of Charmin right about now…
- These are the 43 best COVID-19 memes for the week of March 27 ... ›
- The 13 funniest military memes for the week of March 8th - Americas ... ›
- The 13 funniest military memes for the week of March 15th ... ›