There's just something special about Duffle Blog articles. Most joke news sites make it completely obvious that they're jokes and should never be taken seriously. Most rational people would read a headline like "Are Millenials killing the telegram industry?" and take the joke at face value. Then there's satire - an art form truly mastered by the folks at DB.
Actual satire is a joke about something taken to the extreme so the audience can see the absurdity in whatever is being ridiculed. Think Stephen Colbert when he was on Comedy Central. Great satire blurs those lines so obscurely that no one can really tell the absurdity. Think Don Quixote and how people believed it was a story about how chivalrous knights were.
Their recent "VA tells vets to use self-aid, buddy-aid before asking for appointment with doctor" is perfect satire. Great article and when you read it, it's obviously a joke. But that's not how people reacted to the headline. Oh boy. It's fake, but it feels like it's something that could be implemented next Thursday...
On a much lighter note, half of all social media users were unable to connect Wednesday, and we got a new trailer for the upcoming Avengers film. I'm not saying it's a coincidence, but it definitely smells like the greatest viral marketing strategy for a film to date.
If you survived the "Snappening," enjoy some memes!
1. "Better not risk it. While we're at it, I might as well kiss the CMC's fat, hairy, greasy belly when I cross the equator and not risk whatever would come of that as well..."
(Comic by The Claw of Knowledge)
2. The cadence was all fun and games until it wasn't...
(Meme via Broken and Unreadable)
3. I'm just saying. Anyone else notice how eerie it sounds when all the troops give exactly six claps entirely in unison? Just me? Okay.
(Meme via Infantry Follow Me)
4. Height and Weight standards aren't guidelines...
(Meme via Coast Guard Memes)
5. Plot twist: The boot ass cherry on the right still has a glimmer of hope in his life. It's gotta be the private.
(Meme via Disgruntled Vets)
6. I don't know if they're testing for something but I think it's mostly just to instill fear in troops.
(Meme via Disgruntled Decks)
7. "I'm sure it'll be fine when you get to your next duty station..." - Said every troop ever.
(Meme via Sh*t My LPO Says)
8. And yet the VA will still say that the dude's hearing loss wasn't service connected.
(Meme by Valhalla Wear)
9. Basically what happens after the LT starts spouting off how they'd react in combat according to that one time they read Sun Tzu many years ago...
(Meme via American Trigger Pullers)
10. Funny how a full sized can of those are in the dollar stores but a case of the small ones are basically gold on a deployment.
(Meme via Army as F*ck)
11. What could go wrong?
(Meme via Decelerate Your Life)
12. An ass chewing for your mistake is one thing. An ass chewing for your subordinate's mistake is worse.
(Meme via Air Force Nation & Humor)
13. Probably about as safe to drink too...
(Meme by Ranger Up)
- The 13 funniest military memes for the week of February 8th - We ... ›
- The 13 funniest military memes for the week of February 15th - We ... ›
- The 13 funniest memes for the week of February 22nd - We Are The ... ›
- The 13 funniest military memes for the week of March 1st - We Are ... ›
- The 13 funniest military memes for the week of March 8th - We Are ... ›
- The 13 funniest military memes for the week of June 1st - Americas Military Entertainment Brand ›