Retired Air Force Colonel and NASA astronaut, Greg Johnson posted a nice, heartfelt video for the folks seeking tips about getting through this time of isolation – as he's something of a subject matter expert from his time in space. He makes excellent points, such as have a routine, be mindful of others, and stay positive, but I'd like to throw my two cents in from what I learned in Afghanistan.
Tip one: Don't skip out on meals. You can even hit up midnight chow if you'd like. Beach season is cancelled this year anyway.
Tip two: Take whatever breaks you feel you need. We all basically lived in the smoke pit (regardless if we were actual smokers or not) and still somehow managed to get things done. You can too. You also have the added advantage of turning your Zoom meeting off and not having to deal with your boss all day.
Tip three: Don't feel guilty about binge watching tv or playing video games all day. A good chunk of most Post-9/11 troops' off-duty time on deployment was spent in the MWR doing the exact same thing and you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who'd say they didn't earn it after a stressful day.
If my list somehow looks like encouragement to become a fat, lazy couch-potato… Go for it. What do I care? I'm not your NCO. Anyway, here are some memes.
1. “All of the civilian-applicable jobs are always stuck at 798. Why bother?” – I say to myself while I refuse to go to the promotion board.
(Meme via US Army WTF Moments Memes)
2. Can’t forget some overly Hooah bullsh*t in the caption! That’s how you let the civies know you’re a cool guy.
(Meme via Not CID)
3. Know what your NCO needs from the shoppette and they’ll never give you hell for being late because you went.
(Meme via Army as F*ck)
4. I still trust most E-2’s over some butterbars I’ve met. The private has been promoted at least once.
(Meme via Disgruntled Vets)
5. Not all commo are nerds stuck up in the office. We’re all nerds. Just, you know… Not in the office.
(Meme via Private News Network)
6. It’s a miracle that our livers made it this long…
(Meme via Infantry Follow Me)
7. Real talk: Why do they even put those sweets out at Boot Camp if they know no one will eat them? I get the mind games thing and all but that just seems wasteful because those smelled fresh every day.
(Meme via The Army's Fckups)
8. I hated the phrase “battle buddy” when I was in yet I found myself unironically using it when referring to buddies I served with… Please help me.
(Meme via Hooah My Ass Off)
9. Them’s the rules.
(Meme via Coast Guard Memes)
10. It’s like getting a letter from Hogwarts except instead of learning magic spells you learn unhealthy coping mechanisms that make all your coworkers feel slightly awkward around you.
(Meme via Pop Smoke)
11. Regardless of generation or branch you served in… we can all agree that Jodie can go f*ck himself because our boy Anderson got that leave approved!
(Meme via Decelerate Your Life)
12. That’s why I like the film The Last Full Measure. It’s one of the only Air Force centered films that I can think of that doesn’t feature a single f*cking pilot.
No offense to pilots, but your films are always the same. "I'm a renegade despite being bound by the UCMJ and I'll only learn the value of being a part of a team after my actions directly cause someone's death. Now cue the flying montage!"
(Meme via Air Force amn/nco/snco)
13. He must have been board. You wooden get it…
(Meme via Valhalla Wear)