A US service member died in a non-combat incident in Afghanistan Sept. 4, 2018, marking the second American death in two days in the war-torn country.
The incident is currently under investigation, according to an Operation Resolute Support press statement that was decidedly short on details. The fallen's name will be released 24 hours after the individual's next of kin have been notified.
Sept. 4, 2018's death in eastern Afghanistan comes just one day after another US service member was killed in an apparent insider attack, the circumstances of which still remain unclear. That incident, the sixth US casualty in Afghanistan in 2018, followed another insider attack in July 2018 that claimed the life of 20-year-old Army Cpl. Joseph Maciel.
Over 2,400 service members, reports to Stars and Stripes, have given their lives in the war in Afghanistan, which has been raging on with no end in sight for 17 years.
This article originally appeared on Business Insider. Follow @BusinessInsider on Twitter.
- 17 photos show Afghanistan is one of the world's most gorgeous ... ›
- Taliban control of heroin drug production trafficking in Afghanistan ... ›
- Opium production has set another record in Afghanistan - Business ... ›
- Eastern Afghanistan's Wakhan animal herders: Photos, tour ... ›
- Afghanistan Like You've Never Seen It Before by Peretz Partensky ... ›