A Moscow court denied release on bail for Paul Whelan, a former U.S. Marine jailed in Russia on an espionage charge. After the bail hearing on Jan. 22, 2019, Whelan's attorney suggested his client was the victim of a setup. Whelan, who also holds citizenship from Ireland, Canada, and Britain, was arrested in Moscow by Federal Security Service (FSB) agents on Dec. 28, 2018.
This article originally appeared on Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. Follow @RFERL on Twitter.
- More U.S. Marines In Norway Could Cause 'Growing Tensions ... ›
- Four Ukrainian Marines Found Dead, Two Fellow Servicemen ... ›
- Russian Court Rejects American Paul Whelan's Request For Release ›
- International Spy? Or Just A Guy At A Wedding In Moscow? ›
- Family Says Detained U.S. Citizen Is Innocent, Was In Moscow For ... ›