Watch that massive battle with Russian mercenaries in Syria
The US military has released footage it says came from a massive battle that reports have indicated took place between Russian military contractors and the US and its Syrian allies in February 2018.
The battle, wherein as many as 500 or so combatants loyal to the Syrian government were said to have advanced toward a known US position in western Syria and fired with tanks and artillery, reportedly ended with up to 300 attackers killed by US airpower and artillery.
The Pentagon says the video it shared showed the US responding to an “unprovoked attack.” News reports indicated the attacking force included mostly Russian nationals, potentially making this one of the deadliest clashes between US and Russian fighters in decades.
The Russian military has denied having a large ground presence in Syria and has sought to distance itself from those it describes as independent contractors. According to Reuters, Russia said only five of its citizens may have been killed in the battle.
The US said it called the Russian military to inform it of the strike before letting loose what multiple reports called a significant air offensive. Sources later told Reuters that Apache helicopters cleaned up what was left of the advance after an initial wave of airstrikes.
Watch the strike footage below:
- 'NRA sashay away': 175,000 people took to the streets for New York City's 'March for Our Lives' rally
- Gun control really works — here's the science to prove it
- Take a look at Arctic Edge 18 — where the US military is preparing to fight in the extreme conditions
- China's growing submarine force is 'armed to the teeth' — and the rest of the Pacific is racing to keep up
- The US's newest, most advanced attack sub is ready to prowl the seas — check out the USS Colorado