Marine Corps veteran Rob Riggle joins us for a hilarious conversation about his transition to acting, what he thinks about celebrities at the Marine Corps Ball, and how he advocates for veterans.
Guest: Rob Riggle
Rob retired from the Marine Corps in 2013 after 23 years of service, departing as a lieutenant colonel, but was recently promoted to full-bird colonel by virtue of his role as Colonel Sanders in the KFC commercials. (See what we did there?)
Outside of his movie roles — “The Hangover”, “The Other Guys”, and the “Jump Street” movies, to name a few — as well as appearances on Fox NFL Sunday — Rob is best-known from his time on “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.”
The veteran-celebrity golf tournament will raise money and awareness for Semper Fi Fund, one of our nation’s most respected veteran nonprofit organizations, in support of wounded, critically ill and injured service members and their families.
The tournament will take place at the world-class Valencia Country Club in Los Angeles on Dec. 5, 2016. During this exclusive golf tourney, veteran and celebrity teams contend for the lowest scores and most laughs to raise funds and awareness for the renowned Semper Fi Fund. Semper Fi Fund provides immediate and lifetime support to post-911 wounded, critically ill and injured service members from all branches of the military. Since inception, Semper Fi Fund has assisted over 16,800 service members and their families totaling more than $133 million in assistance to veterans and their families. Semper Fi (“always faithful”) is the motto of the U.S. Marine Corps. Semper Fi Fund’s goal is to always be there faithfully helping Heroes in need.
• Logan Nye: Army veteran and Associate Editor
• Tracy Woodward: Benevolent smartass and Social Media coordinator
• Orvelin Valle (AKA O.V.): Navy veteran and Podcast Producer
Selected links and show notes from the episode:
- [01:50] 20 different ways Rob Riggle can kill everyone on “The Daily Show.”
- [03:00] How Rob Riggle spent his time in the U.S. Marine Corps.
- [08:00] Rob Riggle’s roots in improv comedy.
- [11:00] That time Rob Riggle was an Iraq corespondent for “The Daily Show.”
- [17:00] How the Navy Blue Angels made Rob Riggle pass out during his “Top Gun 2” audition video.
- [21:00] It turns out that Rob Riggle had his pilot’s license before he joined the Marine Corps.
- [23:30] How Rob Riggle’s InVETational Golf Classic helps veterans.
- [29:50] Rob Riggle’s advice for inviting a celebrity to the Marine Corps Ball.
- [36:55] Rob Riggle sets the record straight about being a pilot.
Music licensed by Jingle Punks:
- Cheval Vapeur
- Goal Line
- Slick It Instrumental