Silicon Valley has a tendency to be mocked — there's even an entire HBO comedy centered around the absurdities of living and working there.
But one Twitter user approached this subject in a new way: comparing the tech capital of the world to the former Soviet Union. Anton Troynikov created a Twitter thread on July 5, 2018, that quickly went viral over the weekend, making tongue-in-cheek comparisons between working for a tech giant like Tesla or Amazon and working in the USSR.
Things that happen in Silicon Valley and also the Soviet Union:— Anton Troynikov (@atroyn) July 5, 2018
- waiting years to receive a car you ordered, to find that it's of poor workmanship and quality
- promises of colonizing the solar system while you toil in drudgery day in, day out
Here are some of the highlights:
'Living five adults to a two room apartment'
'Being told you are constructing utopia while the system crumbles around you'
A new heaven and new earth
"'Totally not illegal taxi' taxis by private citizens moonlighting to make ends meet"
(Flickr / Jason Tester Guerrilla Futures)
'Everything slaved to the needs of the military-industrial complex'
President Dwight D. Eisenhower
'Failures are bizarrely upheld as triumphs'
The Juicero machine.
'Productivity largely falsified to satisfy appearance of sponsoring elites'
'Elite power struggles result in massive collateral damage, sometimes purges'
'The currency most people are talking about is fake and worthless'
An actual bitcoin transaction from the Kraken cryptocurrency exchange to a hardware cryptocurrency wallet.
'Otherwise extremely intelligent people just turning the crank because it's the only way to get ahead'
An Amazon Fulfillment Center.
(Photo by Joe Andrucyk)
'Henry Kissinger visits sometimes for some reason'
Henry Kissinger with President Richard Nixon.
(Photo by Oliver F. Atkins)
You can check out the full thread over on Twitter.
This article originally appeared on Business Insider. Follow @BusinessInsider on Twitter.
- Soviet Union troops taunting Nazi Germany soldiers World War II ... ›
- Secret tunnel used to send intel from China to the Soviet Union ... ›
- Photos of abandoned Soviet spacecraft built for the Cold War ... ›
- 53 photos of Russia's decade after the collapse of the Soviet Union ... ›
- USSR Russia Finland World War II winter war photos - Business ... ›