The triceps are pressing muscles (where the biceps are pulling muscles). You use the triceps in all pressing movements. The purpose of this training is to isolate the triceps by using them primarily to extend the elbow. Guidance for triceps training is very similar to biceps training. The movement is just opposite.
Triceps — First, Watch This:Regardless of the triceps exercise you actually decide to perform these keys hold true. Fail to abide and your arm growth will suffer. Full article at: https...
Triceps — Setup
1. Exercise selection:
Choose the triceps variation you most enjoy or feel the most work from.
- DON'T choose the exercise that allows you to use the most weight. The more difficult a movement is/ the weaker you feel the greater benefit you will get from the movement.
- Bear in mind there is a huge difference between a movement that is difficult and one that is causing pain. If things cross over to painful then they are also non-productive and will set you back in your training rather than helping progression.
Choose an exercise and stick with it for at least 4 weeks in order to see some gains and improvements in movement efficiency. If you switch every week you won't be able to accurately measure if you were able to do more work than last week.
Triceps — Some Options
- JM Press
- Assisted Dips
- DB Skullcrusher
- Cable Tricep Pushdown
- Cable Rope Pushdown
- Bar Skull
Triceps — Dips
Triceps — Kick-Backs
Triceps — Execution
1. Range of motion:
Execute full range of motion. DON'T CHEAT.
- Bragging rights go to those that make a workout harder with less weight. That means you are more meticulous and efficient with your movement.
Maintain control. NO MOMENTUM.
- Momentum means you aren't using your muscle. It's cheating as well.
- If your elbow is causing your shoulder joint to move, you are probably cheating.
Exhale on the contraction (downward movement), inhale on the extension (upward movement).
- If the weight is so heavy you need to brace with your core to prevent cheating, it's too heavy for you to be using it.
Keep lats and elbows tight.
- Think lying Port Arms with the rifle in drill..
5. Elbow Isolation
Isolate the elbow.
- The only joint opening and closing should be your elbow.
6. 3 Contractions
- Concentric: the downward portion when you are opening the elbow angle.
- Isometric: the very bottom of the movement where there is no movement. Straight elbow.
- Eccentric: the upward portion, where you are closing the elbow angle. Do this slowly, and focus. This is a huge part of every rep.
Triceps — Coaching Cues
- Breathe with the rep
- Don't crank on your neck (it won't help)
- Eyes should remain stationary
- Don't drop weight (eccentric portion is just as important as the concentric)
- Tight lats and elbows
Triceps — Adjustments
If your triceps hurt, don't do additional triceps training. These are an ancillary exercise. You get all the triceps stimulation you need to live in the world from pressing movements like the bench press.
If your elbow is bothering you and you refuse to stop training triceps, try switching to a neutral or even pronated grip variation. Often over supination of the elbow is where the issue comes from.
Caveat: This exercise guidance should never usurp the advice of your medical professional. If there is a question in your mind as to the suitability of this exercise for you confer with your doctor. WATM is not liable if you do something ill-advised after reading any of our fitness content.