The 5 biggest stories in the military world right now (June 30)
Good Mighty morning! Here are the five stories you need to know about before you strap on your boots and head out today:
- An Indonesian Air Force C-130 crashed near a residential neighborhood, killing at least 43 people. CNN has the story here.
- Our partners at Business Insider report that Greece’s military budget is growing in spite of that country’s economic turmoil.
- Want a surplus Humvee for old-times sake? The Defense Logistics Agency is making it easier to make them street legal. Fox News has the story here.
- So much for that “spending like a sailor on liberty” cliche. Forbes reports that military members are better than civilians at monitoring their money.
- The U.S. has restored military aid to Bahrain in spite of that country’s human rights record. (And the Fifth Fleet staff lets out a collective sigh of relief.) Defense One has the full story here.
Now check this out: The US military took these incredible photos this week >
This is how John Kelly shut down speculation on President Trump's gold star family call
"If you're not in the family, if you've never worn the uniform, if you've never been in combat, you can't even imagine how to make that call," Kelly said.
Blumhouse and WATM team up to produce 'Searching for Bergdahl'
Blumhouse Television and WATM are teaming up to produce the documentary "Searching for Bergdahl," the untold story of the seven-year search for the missing soldier.
This is the real reason John McCain's Liberty Medal speech was so epic
When US media focused on a jab at President Trump, they missed the parting thoughts of a veteran and public servant of more than 60 years.
This little bot can take a lickin' and keep on tickin' for troops on assault
Weighing a little over five pounds, the FirstLook can handle being thrown into a hostile environment.
This is one of the deadliest kamikaze attacks caught on film
Japanese kamikaze pilots struck fear in the hearts of allied troops as they conducted choreographed nose-dives right into U.S. warships during WWII.
This is what it was like fighting alongside Afghan troops
In nearly every war in which America has taken part, troops have had to work alongside local forces who aren't always very motivated to fight.
This is how AC/DC helped save a POW in Mogadishu
The ending of "Black Hawk Down" was just slightly different than Ridley Scott showed. It was a moment former POW Mike Durant would never forget.
Russia is buying more of these 'Fullback' fighter jets — and they're pretty impressive
The Russian Ministry of Defense says it just got four more SU-34 bombers, and they're impressive AF. We have the details and video for you here.
More than 100 killed in Taliban attacks across Afghanistan
The Afghan Defense Ministry is reporting over 100 Afghan deaths in October. The Taliban killed Afghan police officers and soldiers, and civilians.