While women have made important strides in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) careers, research has shown that these fields remain predominantly male.
This is rapidly changing at VA, where diversity and inclusion aren’t merely a box to be checked but essential to our organization. Along with meeting the needs of women Veterans by providing them access to high-quality women health services, we also seek out opportunities to hire these heroes as they transition into civilian life following their military service.
In an effort to reach more of the 2 million female Veterans, the Office of Environmental Programs Service (EPS)/Healthcare Environmental Facilities Program (HEFP) is encouraging female Veterans to apply for the Environmental Management Service (EMS) Technical Career Field (TCF) Trainee program. This 24-month opportunity cultivates management trainees and guarantees non-competitive placement upon successful completion. Applications will be accepted until May 7.
We’re looking for female leaders to help our facilities provide a clean healing environment that’s safe for Veterans and their families in Long Beach, California; Denver, Colorado; St. Louis, Missouri; Amarillo, Texas; Dallas, Texas; and Madison, Wisconsin.
Explore VA environmental management leadership opportunities
Within VA, EMS oversees the following program functions:
- Health care sanitation
- Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
- Textile Care Management (TCM)
- Waste management and recycling
- Interior Design (ID)
- Environment of Care (EOC) monitoring
An EMS leader uses knowledge and experience to ensure adherence to statutory, regulatory and VA requirements. In pursuit of becoming an EMS leader, the TCF trainee will gain expertise to serve as a regulatory and technical subject matter expert and assist VHA in solving complex environmental and compliance issues.
Great careers, great benefits
You’ll join a tight-knit team of highly qualified and driven management professionals working to improve the overall Veteran experience by providing a safe, clean and healing environment for their care. When you join VA, you’ll have access to plenty of perks, including regular salary step increases, job security and work/life balance. In addition to these benefits, you’ll receive:
- Generous time off: Earn up to 26 vacation days each year, accrue unlimited paid sick leave and enjoy 10 paid federal holidays.
- Robust federal retirement plan: Enjoy a defined benefit plan (pension) after only five years of vesting and a 401(k)-type plan with up to 5% in employer contributions.
- Education Support: We can help you repay student debt, reimburse you for tuition and help you earn free continuing medical education (CME) credits.
You’ll also be part of a deeply rewarding mission — improving the quality of life for the brave men and women who risk so much to protect our freedom.
Work at VA
Help Veterans, their family members and your fellow employees stay safe at our facilities. Submit your application for a new environmental management services career today.
- APPLY for a EMS TCF trainee position.
- EXPLORE technical career fields at VA.
- LEARN more about VA benefits.
- VISIT our website at www.VAcareers.va.gov.
NOTE: Positions listed in this post were open at the time of publication. All current available positions are listed at USAJobs.gov.
This article originally appeared on U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Follow @DeptVetAffairs on Twitter.